FCR41 Kit For XR650r

In the sudco katalog there are 2 fcr41 kits for the xr650r. Kit 016-765 which is for a bike without air filter and kit 016-766 which is for a bike with K&N.

These kits are pre-jetted for using them in each case.

My bike has a K&N filter but i found a good deal for the kit which is to be used without air filter and i want to know what's the difference in jettings between the 2 kits and the different parts each kit contains.

Since the carbs are the same and the only difference is in the jetting i want to know what extra needles and adaptors i may have to purchase in order to convert the 016-765 kit (no air filter) into a 016-766 (K&N filter).

P.S.1 -When it says no air filter what does it mean?Does it mean that the inlet of the carb is left completely free?

P.S.2 -These kits are supposed to be bolt on kits right? i mean there shouldn't be any mounting issues like the ones i've heard. They contain extra cables and stuff and don't need the tank to be crafted right?

thanks

I e-mailed sudco and they gave me an answer about the air filter question.

They said both kits are the same, they use the same jettings and have all the stuff needed in order to fit the carb into the bike.

The difference is that one kit contains a K&N air filter while the other one doesn't.

So this was what they meant when stating that kit 1 is for a bike with air filter and kit 2 is for a bike without one.

It seems that these kits are pre-jetted for using them with a K&N on the bike.

I'm also waiting a reply from them for the setup jettings though.

So now my only concern, since the kit is supposed to have all the cables and adaptors needed for the fittment, is the one about the tank.

I use the stock tank.

Is there anybody out there who had installed the FCR41 (not the mx one, the kit refers to the simple FCR41) and didn't have problems with the tank???

Most every thing that you need to know about the Sudco FCR 41 kit (from installing to tuning) is here:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=668475&highlight=fcr

If this doesn't help you, there are so many threads on here about using this carb on a XR650R that it can get a little confusing, but doing a search will get you any other information you may need.

thanks

I reiceved an answer from sudco and the said they can't give out setup jettings.

Doesn't matter because the Sudco setup sucks and doesn't work for beans. The pilot is way too rich as it comes. They send you the carb with a 55 pilot which is way to fat.

This is the "top secret" Sudco jetting:

Main jet: 175

Main air jet: 200

Slow jet: 55

Slow air screw: 2 turns out

Fuel screw: 2 turns out

Needle: OCEMP

Needle clip: 4th from top (right on the middle)

My jetting is for this setup: full HRC motor, race pipe, stock airfilter with custom cage (no backfire screen), 113 octane Klotz leaded race fuel blended 50/50 with 91 octane (equavalent to your 94 octane) Conoco unleaded premium and is also now slightly different than in that thread link I posted above. You should be able to run almost identical jetting for your bike (other than the main which will need to be smaller if your motor is not in as high of a state of tune as mine. I'd start with the 175). IMO you will definitely need to get a smaller pilot jet than the one that they recommend. I primarily ride at 1700m or so, but all I have to change for sea level riding is to go up on the main one size and back out the fuel screw a half turn. You can get away with the 55 main, but you really have to have the fuel screw turned in which is wastes the adjustment range for that part of the fuel circuit.

Main jet: 185

Main air jet: 200

Slow jet: 52

Slow air screw: 2.25 turns out

Fuel screw: 1.5 turns out

Needle: OCEMP

Needle clip: 2nd from top

Thanks a lot.

I'm waiting to buy the carb in a matter of days.

I think i'll give it a shot though with the setup jetting since sudco claimed that it's jetted for using with a K&N and i have a K&N on my bike (+ full akrapovic exhaust system). I think i may be lucky and i have nothing to loose.. If it doesn't work right though you gave me really good info on what jets i'll have to order and test.

Thanks again.