Sign in to follow this  

Which KTM is best for mx and woods?

Hi I am a 38 year old father of 4 boys (3 to 17) I ride with them on trails and motocross tracks. I do a little more MX than trails but grew up trail riding. Anyway, I have been riding an 05 crf450r with flywheel weights, slid plates barkbusters etc. Worked great for my needs. I have considered switching to KTM for years and I have decided to give an 09 orange a try... WOW are there a ton of choices! I thought based on a recent dirt rider rating the 09 450 sxf as best in woods 2nd best on track it was a no brainer but when I stopped by a KTM shop the other day the guy suggested I consider a 400xc or 400xc-w. Please let me know what you think... Thanks,

Tom

Hi Thomas,i just picked up a new 09 450 sxf last month and i ride track,trail,and desert,hard pack/sand dunes,and this is the best 450 i've had yet!! (coming off a 09 crf 450r & 06 yzf 450) i know there are alot of choices and some people might say a 505 or 530 will be a better all around bike.i've rode all three and imo the 450 sxf is a better bike for me.if you pick up any of these bikes you will not be disappointed. as far as the 400 goes, i rode an older one and wasn't very impressed.good luck!

I can't thank you enough; that is just the sort of feedback I am looking for to make this decision. Enoy your new bike!

Tom H.

Why not get the 450XCF? This bike is designed for what you want to do. It is made for track and trail type riding, whereas the SXF is for track and XCFW for woods (although I trail ride my SXF with no problems). Right now KTM has some sweet swag they are throwing in with the bikes, like tires, exhaust, oil, stand, etc. Not sure if it is certain models or all of them.

Almost forgot, did you do any modifications?

that's the thing, i haven't and this bike will walk away from my buddies pept up crf 450r!! i will be puting the r&d power pump on soon so i can fine tune this beast!best of luck.

what made you trade in the 09 Honda?? i am curious bc i am looking at getting a ktm myself and have the 09 honda. thanks for any feedback much appreciated

Hi Thomas,i just picked up a new 09 450 sxf last month and i ride track,trail,and desert,hard pack/sand dunes,and this is the best 450 i've had yet!! (coming off a 09 crf 450r & 06 yzf 450) i know there are alot of choices and some people might say a 505 or 530 will be a better all around bike.i've rode all three and imo the 450 sxf is a better bike for me.if you pick up any of these bikes you will not be disappointed. as far as the 400 goes, i rode an older one and wasn't very impressed.good luck!

in last months dirt bike shootout with all the 450 enduros the 450exc won and they said that even as an enduro with a aftermarket pipe the bike would do well in MX too. i say go for an XC or an XCW as you will get best of both and have the larger gas tank for the trails and then just don't fill it up all the way for MX if your worried about the weight. guys on here said the bike is still slim with the bigger tank and you don't notice it

the 400 is only made in the XCW for 09 with is the full enduro with wide gear ratio. if you go XCW i say at least go with a 450

Hi I am a 38 year old father of 4 boys (3 to 17) I ride with them on trails and motocross tracks. I do a little more MX than trails but grew up trail riding. Anyway, I have been riding an 05 crf450r with flywheel weights, slid plates barkbusters etc. Worked great for my needs. I have considered switching to KTM for years and I have decided to give an 09 orange a try... WOW are there a ton of choices! I thought based on a recent dirt rider rating the 09 450 sxf as best in woods 2nd best on track it was a no brainer but when I stopped by a KTM shop the other day the guy suggested I consider a 400xc or 400xc-w. Please let me know what you think... Thanks,

Tom

i have an 09 505xcf and it is amazing in the woods. its also the best motocross bike ive ever ridden. it makes so much power but it is still super smooth. and with the heavier flywheel from the factory it is much less likely to stall on you than the motocross sxf. also the the xcf is a 5 speed and the sxf is a 4 speed. i find the stock gearing to be pretty good on the mx track. all ive done to it is put on a jd jet kit and the power is amazing. im prolly 50% offroad and 50% mx and i think that this is the absolute best bike for my needs. just my 2 cents

what made you trade in the 09 Honda?? i am curious bc i am looking at getting a ktm myself and have the 09 honda. thanks for any feedback much appreciated

Hi H Bomb,well to make a short story long back in nov.my yami.broke and the 09 honda was the bike to get.(so every one said)so i traded my yami.in and it seemed to lack power maybe bc it was so smooth and i really like that hit when you snap the throttle.then it broke after 2 rides (decomp.pin)honda did honor the warranty but when i asked the tech if this would happen again he looked at me like a deer in the head lights and said um,well,you see the thing is that honda doesn't really have a fix for it yet so they put the same pin back in it and would more than likely happen again! so i put it in my truck and went straight to KTM! to tell you the truth i'm glad it happened cause look what i have now!! this bike is better in every way imo.if you do get the 450 sxf you wont be disappointed it has more power @ 60 hp stock! best of luck!

i have an 09 505xcf and it is amazing in the woods. its also the best motocross bike ive ever ridden. it makes so much power but it is still super smooth. and with the heavier flywheel from the factory it is much less likely to stall on you than the motocross sxf. also the the xcf is a 5 speed and the sxf is a 4 speed. i find the stock gearing to be pretty good on the mx track. all ive done to it is put on a jd jet kit and the power is amazing. im prolly 50% offroad and 50% mx and i think that this is the absolute best bike for my needs. just my 2 cents

Your bike DOES NOT HAVE a heavy flywheel from the factory. Whatever dealer told you that is full of BS. This is the biggest misconception of the XCF. It sure doesn't help that many dealers can't even keep the different models straight. The SXF (motocross) and XCF (off road race) are IDENTICAL in every respect of the motor other than the SXF is a four speed and the XCF is a five speed. Even the numnuts that were editing Dirt Bike magazine screwed this up in saying that XCF was a 6 speed in a issue or two.

Off of my rant (sorry) and back to the OPs question!

For the four strokes, there are four lines. SXF (motocross), XCF (desert/race), XCW (woods/race), EXC (woods/Dual sport). With the two strokes you get only two this year XC (close ratio tranny) or XC-W (wide ratio tranny).

For eastern situations (as in the OPs realm) the best bike for you would probably be the 400 XCW as was originally suggested, or go with any of the two strokes. Based on what you have done to your CRF, an XCF will be way more than what you want. You will be trying to "dumb" that bike down just as you have your CRF. Why not start with a bike that is setup the way you want it to run to start with? The XCWs still have more than enough suspension for MX use (they are much stiffer than a WR or KLX450) and feel very light. And compared to the CRF you have now make almost just as much power.

However, if I was going to recommend a KTM to you for purchase it would not be the 400 XCW, but the 450 XCW or 300 XC (two stroke). And the main reason is that right now you can get a parts package with a 450 (or 300) that is worth about $1200. You get a skid plate, spare shrouds, handguards, tires, etc... However, You DO NOT get this package with the purchase of a 400 XCW. That is the only model that is not part of this program. Be sure to ask a dealer about the parts package. If they look at you with a blank stare, go somewhere else. They obviously just don't really know their product line or really care about it IMO.

well he was right that it would happen again bc mine broke twice, i am now on my 3rd pin but this one is actually the updated part and a different weight and pin so hopefully will be the last one to put in. other than that i love the bike especially now that i got the ohlins susp in there and it is workin well.

either way i am getting a ktm also just deciding btw the 505 and the 300 2st

thanks for the info

H

Hi H Bomb,well to make a short story long back in nov.my yami.broke and the 09 honda was the bike to get.(so every one said)so i traded my yami.in and it seemed to lack power maybe bc it was so smooth and i really like that hit when you snap the throttle.then it broke after 2 rides (decomp.pin)honda did honor the warranty but when i asked the tech if this would happen again he looked at me like a deer in the head lights and said um,well,you see the thing is that honda doesn't really have a fix for it yet so they put the same pin back in it and would more than likely happen again! so i put it in my truck and went straight to KTM! to tell you the truth i'm glad it happened cause look what i have now!! this bike is better in every way imo.if you do get the 450 sxf you wont be disappointed it has more power @ 60 hp stock! best of luck!

there are no best bike for each application, just need to compromise

the XC is a bike for this two usage, but need to give and take alittle.

The only ktm's I have rode are my buddies 07 450sxf and I have 90ish hours on my 08 505 xcf. I'm in pretty much your exact situation for riding. I have my own mx track so I ride 2 and 3 times a week when conditions are good during spring, summer and fall. I also love the trails and hills/mountains that are a half hour to the west of me. My oldest boy is now 10 and finally a pretty independant rider on both track and trail (as in I hardly ever have to help him anymore). I love the slow first gear of the xcf for tight trail stuff or just to match the speed of the younger ones on the trail. My 8 year old is now getting out more and I can't keep my 4 year old off her bike. I also love having a kick stand, it's totally out of the way and has a rubber strap that makes sure it never comes down on you. When riding with kids you're constatly hoping off to pick up a bike , start it, help them up a tough hill, whatever. As far as the xcf goes on the track I think it's agreat track bike. You never touch first, second is tall enough to take tight corners and hit jumps in the 50 and 60 foot range (with a bit of seat bounce). I have 80-90 footers I do in a hard third, and I have a 100 foot one thats a 80% 4th kind of jump. The idea is that between 2nd, 3rd, and 4th your pretty much good for any track I've been on and honestly I'm in 3rd 80% of the time on the track. So my vote goes to the 450 xcf or if you really like power try the 505 but the 450 will probably be as strong or stronger than everyone elses 450's and its a crazy smooth delivery. Guys who don't own one will say the sxf is the same as the 5 speed minus 1st gear but it's not that simple. The xcf will have a much higher top speed in 5th which I love on the trails when I'm with the guys, no kids. You can fly on roads or very open cut lines. I go to the sand dunes twice a year so I love the 505 for that and I always used to ride cr500's for my woods bike before I went to 4 strokes so I wanted something with a lot of jam. I think the xcf is one of the best kept secrets out there and would buy another in a heart beat. I am thinking about a 300 for the woods, a 350 for the track if it comes along, and keeping my 505 for the dunes in summer and putting a 2moto snow kit on it for the winter. It makes perfect sense to me to own three bikes at a time but my wife isn't grasping the concept fully yet but there's hope still - she's stopped asking me "how many guns do you need" each time I bring home another one.

The XCF is the bike you want. It makes a lot of power, but you can "dumb it down" a bit by simply changing the ignition map to soft. Great all around transmission, suspension, and power. Nobody makes a bike that is this good in such a wide variety of applications.