Sign in to follow this  

Which KTM is best for MX and Woods?

Hi I am a 38 year old father of 4 boys (3 to 17) I ride with them on trails and motocross tracks. I do a little more MX than trails but grew up trail riding. Anyway, I have been riding an 05 crf450r with flywheel weights, slid plates barkbusters etc. Worked great for my needs. I have considered switching to KTM for years and I have decided to give an 09 orange a try... WOW are there a ton of choices! I thought based on a recent dirt rider rating the 09 450 sxf as best in woods 2nd best on track it was a no brainer but when I stopped by a KTM shop the other day the guy suggested I consider a 400xc or 400xc-w. Please let me know what you think... Thanks,

Tom

Do you think the 505xc is easily modified for track use? Does it come in the "W" as the 400 does... I'm told this means wide gears meaning more time in each gear. If so would go with the w or without as I would use on mx tracks?

Thank you for the feedback,

Tom H.

From your description I'd go with the XC model. Motor size is dependant on your abilities, strength and need.

I've had CRF's and now run only KTM's. Both XCW's and XC's.

One a 450 EXC which is comparable to the 07 + 450 XCW. Another a 250 XCF currently being modded to a HT racing 320, (I needed to try one of these light weight things). And a 300 XCW 2-st.

The XC is a firmer suspension than a XCW. It'll handle jumping better and also work well in woods.

The XC trans is also comparable to the rations in your CRF.

Also the XC in any size will have more bark than the XCW. For example, the 450 XC is the same engine (with extra gears) as the 450SX. Adding the 'W' also changes the exhaust and ignition to get a 'softer' combination. Still good but very noticeable difference.

the problem with the 450 and 505 or any combination is that they are heavy, great bikes in open trails but not the most easy to throw around in the trails.

I have a 250XCFw and a 450 Exc and much prefer the 250 on the track and in tight trails, the 450 is great for more open spaces.

Granted the 505 and 450XC's are a bit lighter but I would try a 300XC myself.

One thing, my last time in Baja, a guy on a 200 Exc rode the whole three days, hundreds of miles and stayed right with us, except when we were on Hardball roads, but even then it was only when we got stupid he couldnt keep up.

Do you think the 505xc is easily modified for track use?

the correct suspension spring rate and sag with a flat blade screwdriver to adjust the clickers. That's about all you will need.

DBM

450 XCF works great on the track and on the trail. I own one and ride it in both equally well. I also own a 300 XC and have ridden it on both and it is far better on the trails. I am 46 and ride with my two sons btw. Go with an 09 for the better suspension. It is worth it.

Do you think the 505xc is easily modified for track use? Does it come in the "W" as the 400 does... I'm told this means wide gears meaning more time in each gear. If so would go with the w or without as I would use on mx tracks?

Thank you for the feedback,

Tom H.

Ther are several guys on here that use their 505's on the track, the XC-F has the 5th gear, giving it great top speed for the trails !

the answer is ... NO it can not come (stock) with the wide ratio gearbox. I'm not sure that you would want any wider than the semi-close ratio of the Xc-F's for your track needs. If you want to go to the track, the XC-F would do, and if you do only track you would want to consider the SX-F.

Don't forget that the 'W's' DO NOT have the same motor as the 450/505 XC-F's so it's not just as simple as comparing transmissions.

W= SOHC

XC-F = DOHC MX motor

The 505 might be an intersting choice for you ! I love mine ! it's my 'do it all bike'

Good Luck

if your going to split your time between the 2 you definatly want the XC, over the Sx and the W, the Xc has the tighter gear spacing much needed in MX and slightly stiffer suspension, many of the Magazines think and rightly so that the XC is a better choice for straight up moto, the 450XCF is a brutal weapon,if your a casual trail rider you may be better off with the 400, have you though about a 2 stroke? a 250or 300 XC might just be the best all around bike for you.

Mike