Sign in to follow this  

Make sure theres oil in it befor you start.

in the manual it has part location #30 oil check bolt. Is this so i can tell if there is oil in it without starting it.(if oil comes out its full). Would really like to know. instead of having to drain it to find out. all so Ive read the DRZ400 FAQ and was wondering if all of these are still problems with the 2009 models.

Thanks I will be running Amsoil in is. so should i put it in at 500mils or 1000miles or earler.

The oil check bolt is only used to ensure the oil pump is working. With the engine running, you remove the bolt to confirm flow. There is no need to do this unless you think there is a oiling issue.

Bext time to check and fill is right after a ride. All the oil should be in the tank and therefore you will get an accurate reading with the dipstick. If it is low, top it off. Next time you go out, as long as there is no signs of a leak, you can be confident the oil level is correct.

Most do the first change of oil, filter and frame screen at around 50 to 100 miles and every 1,000 street miles (or less) thereafter.

Are we talking about the oil gallery bolt on the cylinder head, or the bolt down by the brake pedal?

The bolt and sealing washer by the brake pedal is there to see if any oil is down in the crankcase as far as I know, and the longer the bike sits, the more oil leaks out of the frame's oil tank and puddles-up down in the engine's crankcase.

I basically do what William1 said:

Start off on the right foot by checking the oil level on the dipstick after the bike has been run.

I do this when I pull into the garage after a ride and a few minutes after I shut the engine off.

This is when I get a good and accurate reading on the dipstick.

Then, I know I have a correct oil level in the system for the next ride, even if the bike sits for a couple days worth of crummy weather and enough oil leaks into the crankcase to give a too-low reading on the dipstick.

This is the negative part of the dry sump oiling system:

Not being able to just look at the dipstick or an oil level window any old time.

The bike has to be run long enough to get oil pumped into the oil tank.

Edit:

I just looked in my DR-Z400SMK9 Owner's Manual and I see that item #30 on that page is, indeed, the oil check bolt down on the crankcase. :p

What I sometimes do before taking off on a monday is just unscrewing the dipstick and looking down in the hole, if you shake the bike a little you can usually see the oil shimmer down in there.

in the manual it has part location #30 oil check bolt. Is this so i can tell if there is oil in it without starting it.(if oil comes out its full). Would really like to know. instead of having to drain it to find out. all so Ive read the DRZ400 FAQ and was wondering if all of these are still problems with the 2009 models.

Thanks I will be running Amsoil in is. so should i put it in at 500mils or 1000miles or earler.

i forgot to mention i picked this bike up with out starting it. I am not sure if the dealer put oil in it. so thats why i want to check.

I cant start a new bike to check if its got oil in it.

i forgot to mention i picked this bike up with out starting it. I am not sure if the dealer put oil in it. so thats why i want to check.

I cant start a new bike to check if its got oil in it.

You'll be fine. There's no reason the dealer didn't put oil in the bike. Just run the bike for about 3 or 4 minutes and check the oil.....:p

As far as new bikes needing all those mods... I just went to do the loctite mod on the Starter clutch / flywheel fasteners on my 2007 DRZ400s and found that there waz loctite on the bolts already. The stator did not have loctite on the bolts though.