YZ forks on TTR 225 - DONE w/pic

I also own a TTR225 and would like any pertinent info. you may have gleened from your project. I have read a great deal about the yz to TTR125 - very little is available concerning a 225 swap. Did you use the YZ85 forks??

I started out with the entire front end from a 97' yz 125, including wheel, brakes, forks and triple clamps I got off e-bay for $140. The first thing I did was to remove the stock fork set-up, and shove the yz set-up in to see if the upper fork tubes were going to clear the tank (I searched quite a bit and never found anyone who had done this before), they clear by less than 1/4".

The stock lower bearing from the TTR fits over the YZ head shaft but an .080" spacer was placed under it to keep the lower clamp from rubbing on the head tube. The head shaft (I believe I'm making up names for things here so bear with me) on th YZ is longer than the TTR so I welded a spacer tube on top of the head tube of the TTR to accomodate. I used the stock YZ upper bearing, pressed the race into it and slid it slightly down over the TTR head tube. Amazingly, if you make the tube to fit the race, it slips perfectly over the TTR head tube. I believe the tube spacer was about 7/8" long.

Parts required;

-YZ front end (not sure what years will work)

-TTR lower inner bearing (use stock outer race that's in the head tube)

-Washer like spacer slid under the lower bearing. (Prior to pressing it onto the YZ center tube).

-Spacer tube to accomodate yz upper bearing and race.

-A buddy with a welder (highly recommend removing the tank for this)

Once I figured out what I needed it all went pretty smooth.

To get the bike level I slid the new forks up as far as they would go in the tripple clamps. I also bought a used shock (I belive it was from an older XT225) cut it up and welded pieces onto my shock which effectively increased the length of my shock 5/16", that raised the back end about 1 1/4" which feels perfect. Although I did not gain any travel, I did get the bike level (I was working on a tight budget.)

It feels like a different bike now, that stock front end was absolutely mush.

Let me know if need any other info.

Here's the pics, sorry it took so long.

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

As far as the handling goes, I have only ridden it up and down the street, it's still pretty cold here.

It feels like it should be fine, I rebuilt the forks and put 5w oil in.

• 2 weeks later...

I was back and forth on the yz fender idea, I wasn't trying to make it look like a yz, but after my first serious ride after the conversion, I'm going to have to switch. The tire rubs on the fender upon landing.

I will have to say that this mod made a HUGE difference in the jumpability of the bike.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...
14 hours ago, nic_mils said:

I also own a ttr225 and I am looking to do this mod but i can’t seem to find a yz front end with the wheel and brakes (only steering and forks and axle) does anyone know if my stock wheel and brakes will work?

There are a million on ebay.  

13 hours ago, socalxr said:

There are a million on ebay.  

Oh really? I can find wheels,brakes and forks with steering stems but not as a package deal and they’re too expensive to buy individually. not sure if this makes a difference but i’m also in canada.

Yea, you're never going to find them as a package.  When people part out a bike, it's all individual.  What I would do when I need multiple parts, is buy a whole bike (cheap) and part out what I don't need.  Sometimes you can even make a little money. Depending on the year, you can sometimes find a steel frame YZ125 for about $800 on offer up.  But, it's a lot easier to find deals down here, rather than up there.   

10 hours ago, socalxr said:

Yea, you're never going to find them as a package.  When people part out a bike, it's all individual.  What I would do when I need multiple parts, is buy a whole bike (cheap) and part out what I don't need.  Sometimes you can even make a little money. Depending on the year, you can sometimes find a steel frame YZ125 for about $800 on offer up.  But, it's a lot easier to find deals down here, rather than up there.   

yeah ok thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've done the swap twice, both on 2008 TT-R 230s. For the first I used an early 2000s YZ-250 front end, and the second used an 08 YZ-450 front. I went about it differently, and did not attempt to use the YZ steering stems, I simply reused the 230s stem and bearings. After pressing the YZ stem out of the triple clamps, the 230 stem can be pressed into place, with the 230 bearings. When reassembled, the distance between the YZ triple clamps will be closer, but fits with no modification to the steering head required.

I've used a complete donor front end each time for axles, brakes, and rims. Prior to start, I measured the length from axle to lower triple. When installing the YZ fork tubes, I matched the distance, so that there would be no change in the geometry of the front end. Doing it that way, you lose a bit of travel from the YZ tubes, but this is still a 230, not an MXer. You will have to use a 1" spacer for the handlebars, and bend up a small bracket to secure the ignition switch and number plate.

7 hours ago, Rider61 said:

I've done the swap twice, both on 2008 TT-R 230s. For the first I used an early 2000s YZ-250 front end, and the second used an 08 YZ-450 front. I went about it differently, and did not attempt to use the YZ steering stems, I simply reused the 230s stem and bearings. After pressing the YZ stem out of the triple clamps, the 230 stem can be pressed into place, with the 230 bearings. When reassembled, the distance between the YZ triple clamps will be closer, but fits with no modification to the steering head required.

I've used a complete donor front end each time for axles, brakes, and rims. Prior to start, I measured the length from axle to lower triple. When installing the YZ fork tubes, I matched the distance, so that there would be no change in the geometry of the front end. Doing it that way, you lose a bit of travel from the YZ tubes, but this is still a 230, not an MXer. You will have to use a 1" spacer for the handlebars, and bend up a small bracket to secure the ignition switch and number plate.

Ok thanks that helps