Sign in to follow this  

Lowes 5x8 light weight trailer $698.

Lowes has a 5x8 trailer for $698 that looks like a good light trailer. Anyone have one of these?

I have one, overall its been a good trailer. The lights don't work half the time but i'm going to replace all the wiring this spring. You could get 3 full size bikes on it if you put them in right. I've only had 2 on it though.

Check out Northern Tools. I picked up a 5 x 8 mesh bottom Carry On a couple of years ago. I know it was the $400 to $500 range. It has been a great trailer with zero issues

I just got a Carry-On 4x7 lift gate from Tractor Supply Co. for $579. I think Lowes are also Carry-On's. Check out T.S.C. before buying at Lowes.

I have one, overall its been a good trailer. The lights don't work half the time but i'm going to replace all the wiring this spring. You could get 3 full size bikes on it if you put them in right. I've only had 2 on it though.

Before re-wiring everything just check the 3 prong plug. Usually its just a bad connection, mostly the ground. Put some di-electric grease in the plug and clean the prongs.

Here in TN I looked at the Lowes and Northern trailers and they were ok. I looked at some other places (Truck and Trailer USA here) mom and pop type places and found much nicer trailers for the same money. I paid $700 for a 5x10 with a PT wood floor, mesh gate, 15 inch tires, and a "A" frame hitch point. Much stronger trailer, 3300 capacity and do not have to worry about blowing a tire. Plus I can use it for other things too. I did have to add a spare tire/rim and mount. You have to do that with the other too. I would shop around a bit...

I just got a Carry-On 4x7 lift gate from Tractor Supply Co. for $579. I think Lowes are also Carry-On's. Check out T.S.C. before buying at Lowes.

I purchased that same trailer for $499. It is awesome. :p

Whartonride005.jpg

Here in TN I looked at the Lowes and Northern trailers and they were ok. I looked at some other places (Truck and Trailer USA here) mom and pop type places and found much nicer trailers for the same money. I paid $700 for a 5x10 with a PT wood floor, mesh gate, 15 inch tires, and a "A" frame hitch point. Much stronger trailer, 3300 capacity and do not have to worry about blowing a tire. Plus I can use it for other things too. I did have to add a spare tire/rim and mount. You have to do that with the other too. I would shop around a bit...

X2

Shop around and really look at what you get for the $$

Definitely shop around.

I have a Carry On 4X6 which we broke by strapping the bikes down too tight.

I don't know if it was the trailer, something we abused it with (like a three ton package unit heat pump?) or the various modifications I've made to it over the years and then exceeded the engineering parameters well beyond what I designed them for. After the it broke, I extended it forward to a 4X7.5.

IMHO, the trailers are worth what you pay for them and will do almost what they say (1 ton trailer means 1 ton less what ever the trailer weighs). They're good, but paint could be better. Ours started rusting with in weeks of owning it.

Keep the tire pressure at 90 psi, buy a truck (as in Mack) tire pressure gauge. The gas station gauges are crap and the one on your air compressor is not exactly accurate.

I've had ours up to 90 mph with correct air pressure, with incorrect air pressure (70 psi) it sways, darts, weaves and jumps all over at 50 mph empty.

Somewhere along the line one of the leaf springs jumped out of it's retaining do-hickey (the C shaped one, not the bolted on one). This was easily fixed by unbolting the obvious bolts and strong arming it back into place, then bolt it back again.

Other than scraping and bending up the license plate because of where it is from the factory, I can't complain. I moved our license plate up on the left (driver's side) fender, to do it legally, you're supposed to put a light on the plate, as yet, I've had no problems.

If you're going to tote around a pair of bikes, they'll work just fine....a pallet of paving stone....maybe not so great.

Like Smacaroni said, they're a light trailer for light use.

I checked all the other sites and Lowes still has the best price and they are very close to my house. I want the 5x8 to more easily throw 2 kids bike besides my Rmz.

Thanks for all the input. I would prefer a Mom and Pop shop but none close by.

5X8 will easily accommodate an adult bike and two youth bikes.

After I broke the one we have, we borrowed another 4X6 and crammed three nearly full sized bikes on it (XT550, KE100, DRZ-125 - yes crammed!), an extra 16 square feet will make it easy.

I'd recommend adding eye-bolts through the deck into the frame so you can tie the bikes down better. If it doesn't have side-rails, buy wheel chocks. If it does have side rails, you can get by using ordinary car wheel chocks to keep the two bikes on the side back a bit so they're staggered, turn the side bikes backwards or more preferably, use real motorcycle wheel chocks staggered back a foot or two for the bikes on the side. This may be a moot point depending on how big the youth bikes are. XR/CRF 50-70 cc bikes just put the front tire up against the front rail, no problems.

Either way, eye bolts make the job easier and cost only a few bucks.

Lowes has the Carry-On 5x8 trailer in the sales paper for $498 this week. I didn't see it online at my local Lowes, their part number is 100369. Also, if your Lowes doesn't have one try to price match at Home Depot or TSC. You can search for Lowes coupons and get 10% off one for signing up for their mover's coupon.

Debating trying to get one of these or I know someone with a 3 bikes trailer that I can get for $250 if not cheaper.

If it were me, I'd go with the $250 one. $250 buys a lot of beer.

I bought a lowes 5x8 trailer with the gate years ago.. Works great for me never had any issues.. I put pressure treated wood on a few years ago and it made it a lot nicer. I'm always loading it up with 3 full sized bikes. I even managed to fit my 250f, a yz 80, raptor, and a honda 450r one time haha. Deff a good buy for the price.

I know this sounds crazy...but....I've just bought a Hyundai Elantra, and installed a hitch (i've seen it done before). I was looking at getting this trailer from Lowe's .... anyone else have a car and do this? Does anyone know the weight of this trailer? I'm just hauling my CRF 450....shouldnt be too much right?

I know this sounds crazy...but....I've just bought a Hyundai Elantra, and installed a hitch (i've seen it done before). I was looking at getting this trailer from Lowe's .... anyone else have a car and do this? Does anyone know the weight of this trailer? I'm just hauling my CRF 450....shouldnt be too much right?

I tow bikes with my subaru,and laugh at the guys with the big lifted gas guzzling trucks.

I tow bikes with my subaru,and laugh at the guys with the big lifted gas guzzling trucks.

Well thats just it. I got rid of my gas guzzler (16mpg) and bought this car (40mpg). It will lower my car payments, and I get to ride more...I've seen other guys tow there bikes with a Nissan Sentra and thought to myself....hmmm....

I just didnt want to put too much weight on the vehicle (5x8 Lowe's trailer), and my CRF450....Shouldnt be too much right?

I would think your ok.Make sure to read up on your cars towing capacity.I have a light weight trailer i use to tow two drz 400's with no problem..I do keep an old ford truck around for heavy loads but my subaru does 99.9 % of my daily work and play.Just add the total weight of the bike and trailer and make sure you are not exceeding your gross total tow capacity,I am willing to bet you are not even close with just one bike.