Sign in to follow this  

Vibration

Ok.....have a strange one here. 02 DRZ S model with brand new Excel Rims and I just mounted Pirelli scorps. When above 40 or so I feel a strange vibration about every 1 1/2 seconds. Best way to describe is it's like running over 4 or 5 mini speed bumps. Not sure but if I had to guess, it feels like its coming from the front end. Had one fork seal leaking so both seals and bushings were replaced. Tires were mounted and balanced. Could this be the wheels arent trued correctly? Our favorite shop here (NOT!!!) Kelly's said the wheels werent completely true. The bike started this vibration right before the new tires were mounted and it had knobbies on it. The faster you go, the worse it gets. Whatcha all think?? :p

Ok.....have a strange one here. 02 DRZ S model with brand new Excel Rims and I just mounted Pirelli scorps. When above 40 or so I feel a strange vibration about every 1 1/2 seconds. Best way to describe is it's like running over 4 or 5 mini speed bumps. Not sure but if I had to guess, it feels like its coming from the front end. Had one fork seal leaking so both seals and bushings were replaced. Tires were mounted and balanced. Could this be the wheels arent trued correctly? Our favorite shop here (NOT!!!) Kelly's said the wheels werent completely true. The bike started this vibration right before the new tires were mounted and it had knobbies on it. The faster you go, the worse it gets. Whatcha all think?? :moon:

First...spin the rims by hand to see if they are true.....both front and rear...:p:ride:

Erling

Get the front off the ground and spin it and see if she runs true or wobbles.

Yep, it wobbles. Should have known it was this simple to diagnose. Now can this be trued without tearing the complete wheel apart? That was the other thing Kelly's said. Cant believe anything they say anymore! :p

Yep, it wobbles. Should have known it was this simple to diagnose. Now can this be trued without tearing the complete wheel apart? That was the other thing Kelly's said. Cant believe anything they say anymore! :ride:

If you take it to a good wheel smith.....he can properly bring it back... How much is the wobble and hop.......:p ??????

Erling

Well I just read another forum on wobble and saw that 3mm was about 1/8 of an inch. It's at least that. Taking it in tomorrow to a wheel shop that was recommended by a friend. Fingers crossed! Thanks again to the T/T members. :p

Well I just read another forum on wobble and saw that 3mm was about 1/8 of an inch. It's at least that. Taking it in tomorrow to a wheel shop that was recommended by a friend. Fingers crossed! Thanks again to the T/T members. :moon:

Okay......let us know how it goes......:p:ride:

Erling