I need some help from the Chevy S10 owners

I have an opportunity to by my wifes grandpa 's 88 extended cab Chevy S10 v6. The truck has 66,000 original miles, no rust,and everything works. The price $1500.00 The only problem is that it has bucket seats and I need a bench. I would rather have the buckets with center console.I have 2 small children and need to fit their car seats up there. Before you ask they will rarely be in there as much a 2 to 3 times a month. I found on craigs list a bench seat for a 94 S10 will it fit and if so how much work do you think it will be?

thx

well first of all, thats an amazing find! only $1500 for a rust free 80s S10 with extremely low mileage is a killer deal. You didnt say which V6 it is, but either of them will run 200,000 miles easily.

As for the seat... I've never tried to swap the later body style seats into the older trucks, but being a owner of both I really doubt it would fit. The newer body style has a bigger cab, so my guess would be the seat is probably too wide for the 88.

I'd keep looking for a 82-91 style bench, shouldn't be too hard to find.

You should be able to get a bench cheap and possibly have it re-covered to match .

I have had 2 of these trucks in recent memory, an '88 and a '91. The '88 had a 2.8 liter. It was reliable, but a little slow. My wife wrecked it and now i have a '91 to tow behind my motor home.

The '88s bench i had recovered for 160 bucks --- if you can get a seat for $50 you'd be out low coin

With this year of truck is there any problems that need to be addressed anything they are famous for? Also will 2 child seats fit up front if I can find the bench. I will probably post the buckets and console in the classified section? My father inlaw went back this afternoon a did a test drive all is well/everything works. The only downers he see's is that the headliner is starting to fall down,exhaust is a little loud and the front tires have a unusual wear at the edges. Probably needs an alignment. Any thoughts.......

The front end issue could be as simple as an alignment, worn wheel bearings, bad ball joints, tie rod ends, or the infamous "GM IDLER ARM" syndrome.

As for two kids in car seats in an S10.....it can be done, but you'll hate life if it's a stick shift or you're a big guy.

will one car seat fit in the back? i dont know whats back there as i have never been in an extended cab S-10. Do they have a little bench, or just a couple of jump seats

the 2000 extended cab we have has the sideways jumpseats... I've never been in a extended cab version of the older style like your 88, so I'm not sure about those.

will one car seat fit in the back? i dont know whats back there as i have never been in an extended cab S-10. Do they have a little bench, or just a couple of jump seats

I had an 89, and it had the jumpseats back there.....IDK how feasible they are with a rugrat restraint, never had any rugrats back then to test it out.

They are just about perfect for when the kids outgrow the carseat.

Yeah there are jump seats back there and if I am not mistaken they fold down from the sides. I think my wife would grab the gun, if she even thought I was trying to put the the kids seats back there. We are going to pick it up in 2 weeks { road trip with the wife to Fort Wayne} I will know more on the 3 hr ride home. It is always a roll of the dice purchasing some thing used. Even if it has low miles. It hasnt been driven in a long time. It has sat in the barn/covered most of its life and only driven to and from town and doing its normal not over taxed mini truck dutys. Whats funny is this all came out of the blue and was started by a silly conversation about lease turn ins and grand-pa having his truck for sale. Who knew? I will post pics of this $1500.00 deal when I bring it home

thx again for all your input

• 3 weeks later...

Well here she is. I am a little late on posting pic's. I have added a brand new Walker cat back exhaust. This brand of exhaust is quite good. I am impressed on how thick the gauge of pipe is. It looks to be twice that of my 08 v-8 Dakota. My wifes Grand-pa kept a Chevy diary with the truck and kept all his reciepts,and documented EVERYTHING. He replaced the rear tires in 06 and only put 200 miles on them.

CAM_0675.jpg

damn thats a clean truck! I wish my 89 looked that good. The bedsides and doors are rusted through, no paint left on the hood or roof, and the interior is shot, but then again it has almost 200,000 more miles than yours does ? It still runs like a top and the floor of the bed is solid, so it's a great lil beater to haul stuff.

I'd say the only weak point ya might have there is the auto tranny, 20 year old slushboxes can be trouble, even with extremely low mileage like that. If the drivetrain has been taken care of as well as the body and interior, you should have a solid reliable truck for many thousands of miles.

Thx fellas I do appreciate the comments. Next weekend I am taking it in to have the oil ,trannie fluid, changed. It was a smooth ride home. I kept the cruise at 72mph and it drove real nice.The exhaust is a little throaty I like it. It will need shocks and a front end allignment also new front tires. I checked into new tires and Kelly doesnt make the Charger in the 14 in. size anymore. I was hoping to keep the same tires on the front as the rear. I like the look of the stock wheels also. They are not bald as of yet,but enough to concern me if it was raining . and I wont be driving it much yet as the van goes back to Chrysler in June and I commute on my crf230L as much as possible.