Taylor LaKamp Memorial Ride - Cal City to Husky Monument 3/28/09

Taylor LaKamp Memorial Ride - Cal City to Husky Monument - March 28th 2009

tayloredited.jpg

On February 17, 2008 Taylor LaKamp lost his life in a tragic off-road accident out at California City. Taylor was only 15 years old when he lost his life.

On March 28th, they are having a memorial ride for him. It will start at Borax Bills in Cal City at 10:00 am, and the group will ride out to the Husky Monument as a group. We are hoping to get a large turnout for this ride. It would be great if we could get a large group of guys and gals from TT to show our support for a fallen fellow rider.

The ride will be about 70 miles total. You will need a bike, quad, or buggy that can do that many miles. My daughter's bike will only do about 45 miles on a tank of gas, so I will need to pack some gas for her bike. For those of you that are not sure how many miles you can get out of a tank of gas, you might want to pack some for this ride just to be safe. A great cheap tool to pack gas into is a Platy made by Platypus: http://www.platy.com/product_detail.aspx?ProdID=36&CategoryID=8 . I have 2 of the 80oz. bottles and they work out great.

We will be having some chase trucks in case anyone breaks down on the ride. Safety is #1 on this ride. It is not a race; it's a memorial ride.

We do suggest that you pack some water to drink, and also a little snack of some kind.

This will also be a ride to help support DIRT (Desert Instant Response Team). Taylor's mom and a few others will be selling the DIRT wristbands (with the emergency phone number (760-373-8606) and magnetic flags with donations of $3 each going to DIRT. She will be at the command post early and another will take over when she goes for the ride. If you want to help support DIRT, this will be a great time. If you don't, we are not pushing anyone to buy anything.

As you know the number for the Cal City police dispatch is 760-373-8606. This is quicker than using the 911 emergency number which is routed to the CHP and then to the EMTs.

Do you need a Cal City permit to do this ride? NO, you will not. The Cal City PD will let you ride on this ride without one.

We do ask that you do wear the proper riding gear for the ride. We will also need to follow any riding laws. This means no riding double on dirt bikes or quads. I want to remind you again this is a 70 mile ride round trip, so it is not a ride intended for real little kids. If you would like to bring real young kids, please bring them in a car or truck. The pace will be under 40 MPH all the way to Husky. The ride will be an easy ride for all; no real technical parts to it. You will hit a little sand, but not much. Most of the ride is just on dirt roads. Those that want to make it a little more technical, you can do it on the way back. For those that don't want too, you can go back the same way you got to Husky.

Can you just drive your car or truck out to the Husky Monument? You sure can. The road going out to Husky Monument is do-able in a car. You will just need to go a little slow on the dirt roads leading in and out. We ask if you're going to drive in, you get to Husky before 11:00. The reason for this is, we don't want anyone on dirt bikes, quads or buggies getting ran over by cars or trucks. Also, it will help with some of the dust on the roads. Again safety is #1 on this ride.

If 70 miles is too many for you to ride and you don't want to pack in any gas, we can work on meeting you guys just on the other side of 395 off of 20 Mule Team Rd. to ride in as a group. I'm thinking that will save you about 30 miles total. I will know more in the next week or so.

If anyone has any questions, post them on this thread and we will try to answer them for you. You can also contact me at: taylors-ride@sbcglobal.net

Hope to see you guy out for this one.

Tom

• Like 1

I think I have to work but I would like to go . Ive never ridden Cal City area or to Husky if I dont work Ill try to make it . Hey Old Man those Platys work Ok for gas they dont rot from the gas? I have a couple MSR bottles but a soft bladder for gas might be better and i could use 1 big bladder instead of hard aluim. bottles. I need to buy a IMS tank when I can save the funds.

I think I have to work but I would like to go . Ive never ridden Cal City area or to Husky if I dont work Ill try to make it . Hey Old Man those Platys work Ok for gas they dont rot from the gas? I have a couple MSR bottles but a soft bladder for gas might be better and i could use 1 big bladder instead of hard aluim. bottles. I need to buy a IMS tank when I can save the funds.

I have a few of the MSR bottles also. Those work great also.

I have not had the platys long, but I have heard they last. I only use them to carry gas when out riding. Then if we do not use it, I empty them out. I do not store gas in them for a long time. They do work great the way I use them. They can also take a bit of a beating. What I always do to be a little safer is after about 20 miles out I put them in the bike. I see no reason to keep that weight on my back the whole ride.

Please do come out if your not working. I think we might be camping the whole weekend. I will know if we are in the next week or so. We can do a few other good rides if I do camp.

I had the pleasure of meeting Taylor's mom over thanksgiving and I've had one of the orange bracelets wrapped around one of my blinkers ever since. I like to think Taylor has been on all of the rides we have done this season.

I will definitely try to make it up there.

Tim

I have to say Cal City PD is GREAT. They told me they will have a few chase trucks out to help us out. :moon: They are also going to help get everyone across 395 safe. You know at times it can be a little hard to do that, and with a larger group it makes it even harder. I'm planning on meeting up with Cal City PD before the ride. We will pre-run and mark the trails. The goal is making it a safe ride for all. ?

THANKS a LOT Cal City PD for helping us out. :ride:

We're planning on coming. Will there be others arriving Fri? The Wilcox's (FF that works with my hub that camped with Taylor/family, I believe are going to try to come out as well). Not sure if we'll make it a day trip, or for the weekend. Thanks for posting up.

Guy I will not be able to make it into a camping weekend. I have just to moch going on right now. I will be coming out just for the day, but i would also like to do a ride when we get back from the memorial ride. I'm hoping to get out to Cal City early on the 28th. Maybe get in a little ride before the ride also.

I forgot to put in the first post that the ride will start at 10:00 am. Everyone needs to be ready and at Borax Bills by then. ?