Sign in to follow this  

07 gearing

What is a good gearing combo for the 07? I have a 12/51 on the bike now - thought that was a good selection for tight tracks.

What is a good gearing combo for the 07? I have a 12/51 on the bike now - thought that was a good selection for tight tracks.

that seems kinda low. (I dont know what kind of riding you do though)

I was having good results with a 13/51 at my tracks.

Since 13 - 48 is stock, "low" gearing would be to put on a 49 or a 50 tooth rear.

By putting on a 12 front sprocket, and a 51 rear, that would be almost the same as 7 teeth on the rear.

That would be a 55 rear. That is way too low. For any kind of track. It would be like loosing a gear, or maybe two. Do you click into third to start? And 5´th through corners?

Stock 13 - 48 is for motocross, one more would be for tight tracks. 2 more for slower riders.

Also, a 12 front will wear through the swingarm chain slider in no time, and wear out the chain quicker. Nothing good comes out of a 12 front sprocket.

Since 13 - 48 is stock, "low" gearing would be to put on a 49 or a 50 tooth rear.

By putting on a 12 front sprocket, and a 51 rear, that would be almost the same as 7 teeth on the rear.

That would be a 55 rear. That is way too low. For any kind of track. It would be like loosing a gear, or maybe two. Do you click into third to start? And 5´th through corners?

Stock 13 - 48 is for motocross, one more would be for tight tracks. 2 more for slower riders.

Also, a 12 front will wear through the swingarm chain slider in no time, and wear out the chain quicker. Nothing good comes out of a 12 front sprocket.

+1 not to mention your motor is going to be spinning to be the moon, thats way excessive homie, try a 13/49

I personally like the stock 13/48, it's pretty low gearing already IMO, only bike I have owned with a 13 front stock, most bikes come with a 14 front stock

I kind of made a mistake. Well probably plenty but anyways. The gearins is actually 13/51.

i have a question about chain sliders. Its the black plastic piece arounbd the swingarm right and the top bolt is like half sheared off from chain lash(guess) or rubbing is this bad and do i need to replace anything? Im assunming gearing is stock but after a new helmet sprockets and chain are on the way. We all know what happens when we assume lol i make and a$$ out of u and me lol (had to put thatlol)

Jonah, I got mine for my YZ from Rocky mountain, I know you shop there as well, so mine as well pick one up and the hardware.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?reviews=1&navType=type&webTypeId=68&navTitle=Drive&webCatId=9&prodFamilyId=157#prodDetails

also Jonah do you have a chain guide? like this one? http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Drive&webTypeId=68&webCatId=9&prodFamilyId=156#vehicleSelect

that could help with your rubbing, and obviously make sure your chain slack is in spec, for the '07 it's anywhere from 2 to 2.4 inches I think

my buddy suggested the 13/51 for more low end power - is that a better combo than the 13/49?

i think mine might be a little loose no i have the stock chiand guide. i was thinking of picking up the fredette chain guide on rockymountain.thanks

my buddy suggested the 13/51 for more low end power - is that a better combo than the 13/49?

personally I wouldn't go 13/51, but you said you have 13/51 on there right now right?? If so, how do you like it? Answer your own question, neither one is better it's just prefernce, I find that when you go super low on the gearing that the bike runs out too fast in every gear, it feels like the motor is being overworked, and the bike gets jumpy.. It's good for wheelies, but thats about it IMO

so i should really be at 13/48 and maybe 13/49

run a 13/49 on bigger tracks, 13/50 on tighter indoor type tracks.