Sign in to follow this  

What is the best way to clean up my cylinder?

I have taken much off the thick stuff off with mineral spirits but I am trying to see what works best to finish it off and make it squeaky clean. Any ideas?

Solvent tank, scotch brite pad, take it to your local machine shop and ask them to wash it in their hot tank when they wash some engines and heads. Carb cleaner works good too with a wire brush (outside of cylinder only). For the exhaust valve ports and pockets spray some oven easy-off and let sit for about 15 minutes then hose off fast or it will discolor the outside of the cylinder. The easy off will eat the carbon away.

I was going to try the carb cleaner. Are you saying it is only safe on the outside or is it the wire brush you should only use on the outside?

I was going to try the carb cleaner. Are you saying it is only safe on the outside or is it the wire brush you should only use on the outside?

don't use a wire brush inside. I just use a scotch brite pad and wd-40 to break the glaze and then wash the whole jug in a hot bucket of oxyclean.

Use the wiseco cylinder brush for cleaning up the inside. On the outside just use hot soapy water and a tooth brush.

Use the wiseco cylinder brush for cleaning up the inside. On the outside just use hot soapy water and a tooth brush.

What he said but here's more detail:

Wiseco part #w6076

The company that makes it is

Goodson Shop supplies

1-800-533-8010

They call it the UF-250 ultra finish hone

57-70mm nylon soft hone brush.

Scotch brite the bore dry,then throw it in the dish washer"extra hot",Lube the cylinder with pre-mix-wah lah you are done.

p.s oven cleaner for the power valve area.Then wah-lah your done.

+1 for oven cleaner on the the power valve parts

As for the cylinder, scotchbrite and brake contact cleaner, follwed by hot soapy water and then a rinse.

Oven cleaner works a treat on the whole lot, just remember to wash it in warm soapy water and it will be good.

Dishwasher but don't tell the wife. Do it when she is not home. Works like a small hot tank. :) Take it out before it goes into the drying cycle. You may get some flash rust spots.