Sign in to follow this  

Definitely need a new swingarm bolt - what else?

Well, I'd say this one is toast:

IMG_0022.jpg

As long as I'm ordering, can anyone comment on what else needs replaced?

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

I'm not sure about the bolts. They look pretty bad (nicked and worn), but if I'm not mistaken, they're not up against the bearings. So is that a problem?

The metal tube (sorry, no clue what it's called - inner race?) is smooth but has some dark markings in the shape of the needle bearings. Is that the beginning of wear?

And while I'm asking questions, how do you clean out the holes in the engine case? Just wipe it out as best you can? Spray brake cleaner in there?

Thanks!

i don't think it's all that bad. i would wire wheel it and clean all the corrosion off, then i would check it's fitment with all of your components, freshly cleaned and packed with a high quality grease.

to clean the holes in the cases, i would get a wire brush and spay brake cleaner in there until you get nothing but clean cleaner out. it's good that you're in there to do maintenance as the factory assembly lube doesn't hold up long. Also, clean and repack your steering head bearings

How are the bearing needles, themselves?

If they're anything less that perfect, I'd replace them and keep them periodically regreased.

If I replace a needle bearing, I replace the metal collar that goes through the middle of it, too.

Companies like Pivot Works sell all of that stuff in one package.

You can also order the parts one at a time thought Suzuki parts dealers.

It could be an optical illusion but is that black band a notch worn in the bolt? If so it needs to go. And as has been said check the bearings.

Also, clean and repack your steering head bearings

Steering head is coming out today. :p

How are the bearing needles, themselves?

If they're anything less that perfect, I'd replace them and keep them periodically regreased.

The needles look surprisingly good. From what I'm digging out of there, it looks like the PO rode this on the beach (lots of sand). I spent about 2 hours yesterday with brake cleaner getting everything out (btw, be careful if you're working in shorts to not get brake cleaner on the inside of your leg :ride: ), but it's all nice and shiny now (the bearings, not my leg)!

It could be an optical illusion but is that black band a notch worn in the bolt? If so it needs to go. And as has been said check the bearings.

Just a wear mark. It's fairly smooth except for the rust scales.

Sounds like clean and lube it all and move on to the steering head.

Thanks, guys.

I spent an hour or so on the swingarm bolt. Here's the after shot:

IMG_0042.jpg

There's some minor pitting in the center of the bolt, but since that just hangs out in the engine cavity, I don't think it's an issue. I cleaned all the rust out and will grease the entire bolt within an inch of its life...

To get the holes in the engine, it ends up a wire brush wheel on a dremel fits perfectly...

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

I also got the steering head bearings cleaned and greased and reassembled. No problems there. But, I didn't have time to pack and assemble the swingarm. Is there any problem with leaving the bearings dry for a couple of days until I get a chance to head back out there and finish the job?