Sign in to follow this  

Whats wrong with my knee?

I had a dirt bike accident yesterday where I looped out my bike and fell with my right foot hitting the ground first and my right knee buckled to the groud. I went to the doc and he said he didn't see nothing broke on the x-ray and he didn't think my acl was tore. I can't get an MRI done for a few days. He put me in a brace and on crutches for the mean time.

I have no swelling or bruising, but have excrutiating pain when i try to bend my knee inwards (moving it to the left). I cannot put any weight on the knee.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I start my patients on rehab if the X-rays didn 't show the bones broke.

If the ACL is torn, and it probably is, it aint' going anywhere, and an athlete needs to start on prehab.

My rehab emphasizes taking weight on the leg, and range of motion, working as hard as possible to ditch the cruthes and the brace.

But everyone should listen to their doctor.

I would stick with the crutches and would keep as much weight off it as possible until I knew what the MRI showed.

I start patients with a suspected knee injury and normal X-rays on rehab immediately. That worked great for the 100 years before MRIs were available, and a torn ACL (something I have worked on about 2500 times) needs to be started on rehab whether or not surgery is contemplated.

But everyone should listen to their doctor.

And what do I know?

I visited with the Family Doctor and he said that my MCL most likely had a partial tear. He fitted me with a neoprene slip on knee support and told me to get back to the crutches for at least a week and then start trying to put weight on it. I didn't use the crutches yesterday and was up on it a lot and I'm paying the price for it today. Swellling is about double and I'm back to feeling like it did over the weekend.

WHats your thought doc?

I would get such a person a cryocuff, and have them walk on it. Tough love always wins out in these situations.

I dont' trust GP's diagnoses, so I would get an MRI if you haven't all ready had one.

If you work the knee you should Ice it down in the evenings and elavate it above your heart.The Cryo cuff is a life saver.You can use frozen peas in the bag as ice packs.I injured my knee and it turned out to be an ACL tear and Dr.Mark said to ditch the cruthes and start working the knee to "milk" the blood out of the joint and ice it down in the evenings.I could not walk at all the first few days but took his advice and got on an exercise bike for 1 hour a day(it took a little while to build up to the hour) and within a few weeks I could get around good.After a few months I was walking fine.You must use the Ice everyday to keep the swelling down.I recently went to The Good DR. Mark and had my ACL repaired this past week in Houston and have to say It was well worth going to him.I am walking good and have been on the exercise bike 1 hour a day since the forth post Op. day and it is really doing good. ICE will be your best friend.If you have an ACL or something of that sort I would sugest going to see Dr.Mark.

I witnessed a young girl in Dr.Marks office who had an MRI done from her family dr.And they told her it was an ACL tear and suggested surgery But she definnatly didn't have an acl tear as she was getting around very well and no swelling so you cannot count on an MRI to be "the word".An MRI is only as good as the person reading it.