Sign in to follow this  

'05 KLR650 with full Big Gun and rejet... going back to OEM exhaust

Hey guys!

I just recently picked up an 05 KLR650 and it came with a full Big Gun exhaust and was rejetted for it. I've ridden it around a bit, and while I love the sound, at idle it's already at the legal limits for a lot of the trails that I want to ride (96db). The stock exhaust came with the bike and I'd like to throw it back on. I don't have much experience with jetting and carburetors, and while my buddies do, I'd like to get a little of an understanding of my options.

Will I be safe to simply put the OEM exhaust back on and not worry about the jets? The OEM jets came with the bike as well (I got a whole box of goodies!), so they can be swapped back in if need be. However, will running the new jets give me a bit more performance, or will I end up running rich and therefore worse off?

Thanks for any tips you can provide. I'm really pumped about this bike. My first dual-sport and I can't get enough of it! :p

• Like 1

Ravyn,

We're working on a jet kit at JDJetting. The kit will cover both stock exhausts and aftermarket. They will be available in about 3 weeks. The stock muffler setup gains about 3-4HP and the aftermarket muffler adds 5-7HP using the stock header.

Keep us in mind.

See- http://www.pbase.com/jdjetting1/klr650&page=all

Thanks,

James

I'd say it would depend on what jetting was put in it for the Big Gun system.

What's your elevation?

Still running the stock air filter?

Did the PO drill the slide and shim the needle?

Did the PO remove the plug over the fuel screw adjustment?

Not knowing any of that, I'd say drop in your stock jets and go from there. Your stock jets are what, 148main and a 40 pilot?

Will I be safe to simply put the OEM exhaust back on and not worry about the jets?

:p

• Like 1

Hey guys!

Will I be safe to simply put the OEM exhaust back on and not worry about the jets?

However, will running the new jets give me a bit more performance, or will I end up running rich and therefore worse off?

Thanks for any tips you can provide. I'm really pumped about this bike. My first dual-sport and I can't get enough of it! :p

The chances are that your jetting will be overy rich with the same jetting, but you would need to verify what is in it now. The results would be poor mileage and excessive carbon buildup, and possibly rough running.

I'd agree with Trailryder42 that it would be safer to drop back to the stock jetting if running the stock exhaust unless there are instructions within the parts you've been given.

Look on the bottom of the carb to see if the fuel screw cover plug was removed.

James

71274783.jpg

• Like 1

All right guys, thanks for the tips. I think I'll just be going back to stock knowing that it's how the system was originally set up. I'll let you know if anything else comes up, but thanks again for the info!

Your bike was too lean when it came from the factory.

So it may not be as overly rich now, as you might think.

Why not ask the good folks over at klr650.net

they have the klr 650 worked out to a science.

Also how much was the airbox opened up, its too restrictive even for a stock bike, so unless its been opened up, your bikes not breathing right anyways.

The chances are that your jetting will be overy rich with the same jetting, but you would need to verify what is in it now. The results would be poor mileage and excessive carbon buildup, and possibly rough running.

I'd agree with Trailryder42 that it would be safer to drop back to the stock jetting if running the stock exhaust unless there are instructions within the parts you've been given.

Look on the bottom of the carb to see if the fuel screw cover plug was removed.

James

71274783.jpg

Hi- I saw a bunch of neat stuff on your site, couldn't figure out how to contact you or which items would fit a 1999 KLR650...

stock jets, 1 or 2 washers under the stock needle & 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw works good with the stock exhaust.

be aware that Dynojet numbers are not the same as Kehin numbers... same number, different flow rates

If I was going to buy a Jet Kit,JD would get my cash,No one else researches as hard as them,Just my 2 cents.But,If you want to see how far you can go before spending coin,3 small shims on the needle,2 turns on your mix screw,and remove the boot from the airbox goes a long,way,It works great,and cost nothing,and the results speak for themselves,I did not drill the slide,but what I did do made a bone stock motor run much more freely,I feel,theres is a difference.

It works.and Its cheap.

Edited by XR_RON
G-12 classified