Sign in to follow this  

Lead Law - How can Joe's sell the Baja's for kids??

Front page of their ad in today's Sunday paper - Baja 90cc motorcycle & Baja 49cc Quad.

How can they sell these with the lead law in effect? They have been doing it for weeks now.

:p:ride::moon: :moon: :lol:

This came around because of toys made in China, and the chinese bikes are the only ones you can buy. That makes a lot of sence.

Front page of their ad in today's Sunday paper - Baja 90cc motorcycle & Baja 49cc Quad.

How can they sell these with the lead law in effect? They have been doing it for weeks now.

They just filed for bankruptcy too. I bet this just didn't seem important to them at the time. Potential layoffs at corporate, etc. might have distracted them or maybe they didn't get the memo about the cover sheets for the TPS Reports.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2009/02/joe_sports_warns_of_possible_j.html

I wondered that too when I saw this morning's paper. I haven't been over there to see if they're still on the floor though, it seems like maybe the ad's have a lead time from prior to the ban.

Some small bike shops in the central Oregon area are still selling "outlawed" bikes also.

Here they are on the floor and have been for weeks ..and very discounted...I wondered also, Just didn't say anything :p

Some small bike shops in the central Oregon area are still selling "outlawed" bikes also.

I went to the Sportsman's Show in Redmond, OR yesterday and saw a child's snomo and a Polaris 90cc quad. I thought that was weird.

2 or 3 rides and they'll be in the dump anyway, parts are of no concern because you can't get them anyway

They just filed for bankruptcy too. I bet this just didn't seem important to them at the time. Potential layoffs at corporate, etc. might have distracted them or maybe they didn't get the memo about the cover sheets for the TPS Reports.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2009/02/joe_sports_warns_of_possible_j.html

I don't see anything in this story about bankruptcy. layoffs, yes....bankruptcy, no.

Joe

2 or 3 rides and they'll be in the dump anyway, parts are of no concern because you can't get them anyway

Maybe melt down some legos and tinker toys made in China and you* too can forge your own parts!

*lead "poisoning" included

They did file Chap 11, i have friends that are suppliers, they havent paid their bills including rent for the last 6 months. They filed chap 11 early last week.

There is way more to the Joes story but I wont go there.

Ignorance is bliss I guess...

Children's snowmo's are exempt because they are over the CC limit IIRC.

I asked my 6 yr old daughter if she would ever lick her crf50....I got some wierd looks from her.

FWIW, my daughter & her twin cousins have those "DoodleBug" mini bikes from Joe's...... Granted, the only part I've ever needed to order was the combination clutch cover/chain guard, but after I ordered it, I received it within days.

That seems like reasonably good sevice & availabilty to me.... :p

Jimmie

Anybody that wants to can still sell kids bikes.

There is nobody to stop you, just the risk of a $100K fine per unit sold.

My 7 year old son and I split the cost on a Baja Dirt Runner 49cc. If they are still on showroom floors it might be because they cannot be legally sold to anybody under 16 yrs old. You sign a document stating that nobody under 16 is going to ride your 49cc minibike. :p

As far as quality of the bike goes, it starts easily, runs good, and has been ridden everyday for several weeks. I haven't had to order anything for it yet, but I'd heard they stood behind their product pretty well.

My 7 year old son and I split the cost on a Baja Dirt Runner 49cc.

I think it is a crime to make your 7yo work :p

I think it is a crime to make your 7yo work :p

Well, the original idea was for him to save up some money wether it be B-day money, turning in soda pop cans, turning in gopher tails (he's learning how to trap them), and whatever else. But, as soon as word got out that Dad was gonna go in halves with him on a little dirtbike, he made off like a bandit for his birthday! His aunts, uncles, and grandfolks pretty much sealed the deal for him. He hopefully learned a little as he forked over his half and got the bike. :ride:

Well, the original idea was for him to save up some money wether it be B-day money, turning in soda pop cans, turning in gopher tails (he's learning how to trap them), and whatever else. But, as soon as word got out that Dad was gonna go in halves with him on a little dirtbike, he made off like a bandit for his birthday! His aunts, uncles, and grandfolks pretty much sealed the deal for him. He hopefully learned a little as he forked over his half and got the bike. :p

How DARE! you make a kid learn a work ethic in this state. He'll never qualify for public assistance with that attitude! What next, manners, self motivation, striving for more than mediocracy! This will never do. Best to enroll him in sports where everyone gets a trophy, even if they don't show up for practice or games.:ride: