Anyone ever been to Knoxville?

Is is worth checking out?

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/knoxville.html

Due to its close proximity to the Sacramento and San Francisco Bay Area regions, and because of it's varied terrain, Knoxville's 17,700 acres attract many off-highway vehicle (OHV) enthusiasts each year. The landscape is characterized by steep and rolling hills with the vegetation varying from scattered hardwoods and grasses to dense chaparral brush. California gray pine and Macnab cypress are also dispersed throughout the area. Of particular note, are unusual plant communities unique to the area's serpentine barrens, which are closed to vehicles to protect the delicate vegetation.

Directions: From the town of Lower Lake go east on Morgan Valley Road 13 miles to the north entrance to Knoxville at Dunnigan Hill Road (this access not recommended for two-wheel drive vehicles beyond Round Mountain Road). Continue three miles further on Morgan Valley Road for the south entrance to Knoxville at the intersection with Devilhead Road (southeast of the McLaughlin Mine crushing plant). There are BLM signs at both entrances.

OR - From Napa, take the Lake Berryessa Road (hugs the west side of the lake). After crossing Putah Creek, it is approximately 17 miles to the Devilhead Road entrance, and 20 miles to the Dunnigan Hill Road entrance.

OR - From St. Helena, take Pope Valley Road to Pope Creek Road. Take a left at the Lake Berryessa-Knoxville Road. It is approximately 17 miles to the Devilhead Road entrance, and 20 miles to the Dunnigan Hill Road entrance.

Been a long time, probably 20 years ago. If you live in the Napa/Solano county area I think it would make for a good early morning summertime DS ride. The morning ride along the lake, then hit the trails for some dirt action, then on the way back you can stop along the west shore of Berryessa for a swim. It's worth to go at least once to check it out.

Depends on what kind of riding you're after. If you like challenging rocky singletrack you won't be disappointed if you find the right trails. We rode there the last two weekends and had fun. Almost no jumps and the rocks are hard on the tires. Give it a try.

I have never ridden there. I have had friends go there when everything else is closed and have a great time. I've also heard of people that have been bummed out there. I'd like to check it out someday. I'm guessing it a trail system??? And it's BLM land but not patrolled like Cow mt?

I have never ridden there. I have had friends go there when everything else is closed and have a great time. I've also heard of people that have been bummed out there. I'd like to check it out someday. I'm guessing it a trail system??? And it's BLM land but not patrolled like Cow mt?

Fish and Game are always there looking for illegal drug

and alcohol type stuff. They keep a very low profile and

watch from afar. I have seen a few young Clearlake types

go to jail there. The trail system is highly disorganized and

no maps of it have ever been seen. Lots of decomposed

granite as well as shale seems to be the final straw. I do

admit to going there when everything else is closed.

I don't recall it having the variety of trails like Stonyford, but it will give you your off-road fix though. I don't recall the trails having big swings in elevation changes either. Interesting place to checkout though. The summertime can be hot, and this time of year the creeks are probably running quick.

Fish and Game are always there looking for illegal drug

and alcohol type stuff. They keep a very low profile and

watch from afar. I have seen a few young Clearlake types

go to jail there. The trail system is highly disorganized and

no maps of it have ever been seen. Lots of decomposed

granite as well as shale seems to be the final straw. I do

admit to going there when everything else is closed.

HHHmmm, doesn't sound like the nice loam I really like to ride. Thanks for the info! Maybe on those days I'll just stay home and work around the house instead of shred a set of tires. With all the drug havens in Clear Lake it's a wonder that the kids would head all the way to bum $uck to get high!?

HHHmmm, doesn't sound like the nice loam I really like to ride.

You won't find any loam out there, just hard rocks and rocky trails with rocks. When it's wet, the "mud" sticks to your bike like stucco but if everything else is closed, you can still get your ride fix here.

Now , if we could only open up the Berryessa Peak ridge to riding.....whatta view!

Didn't see any law enforcement the last two weekends. But did see people out shooting, illegal there, including three guys in a white H2 laden with a full arsenal. The distinct sound of fully automatic weapons leads me to believe no cops were around that afternoon. After two rides there my front tire is missing alot of knobs all of a sudden. I recommend running tires you don't care too much about when riding here.

Didn't see any law enforcement the last two weekends. But did see people out shooting, illegal there, including three guys in a white H2 laden with a full arsenal. The distinct sound of fully automatic weapons leads me to believe no cops were around that afternoon. After two rides there my front tire is missing alot of knobs all of a sudden. I recommend running tires you don't care too much about when riding here.

They have a old range in the North end.

I guess some people can't deal with the updates

Things to know about knoxville. There are two entrances. The southern entrance known as devils head road is a county road and county maintained. If you ride it with a green sticker ohv you will be ticketed. Napa sheriff dept has an ohv team that regulates the area up there on their dirt bikes. Hunting creek is the main campground down on the creek. There is a trail right after you cross the creek from the campground that switchbacks up the mt. The main ohv staging area is at the north entrance. There you can find trails that entertwine back and forth and one that is a 50 mile trail called red elephant mine. It has varied terrain rock, dirt, big rock, tight single track on a hill side etc. Best time to ride knoxville is now. Summer it is hot,,,, and full of rattle snakes. As posted above the rocks will chew up tires and body parts when you hit them so be careful. All the trails and roads that are off of devils head road have blm gates across them so it isnt really worth the bother to go there. Knoxville because of the illegal activity and dumping that has been there in the past is closing down. Since I have known about it probably 90 percent of the areas trails and roads have been closed. If you are in the area check out indian valley reservoir. There are a series of trails there that is not patrolled and not as rocky.

Mr. Angry, awsome work on the google deal.

SO where is the best stage? North or South?

Also what is the best way in from the Santa Rosa area?

Lastly, I will try and stay away from the freaky Deliverance camp site:eek:

Mr. Angry, awsome work on the google deal.

SO where is the best stage? North or South?

Also what is the best way in from the Santa Rosa area?

Lastly, I will try and stay away from the freaky Deliverance camp site:eek:

More miles but WAY LESS NIGHTMARE ROADS from the LowerLake side.

He sent me that too.?:ride::moon: :moon:

The drag is I live 7 or so miles due west but I cannot get in that way.