Sign in to follow this  

GS 500 wheels on a DR650

I was wondering if anyone here has put the GS wheels on their DR. And if so, what kind of mods were needed to make this work. Also, pictures would be great. Thanks,

Just to give you another option, I have a set of RGV250 VJ21 rims which I've been playing about with. Turns out its VERY easy to fit them on. For the front wheel, the disc is the right size, so are the bearings, so all you gotta do is space it properly. I've used a bandit 600 mk1 spacer for one side (doesnt need to be cut) and I've just gotta make one for where the speedo used to be. I guess if you wanted you could try and use an actual speedo drive, I'm betting it'd fit, but I'm going for the spacer option coz I'm a cheapskate :p

For the rear wheel, you use your original sprocket hub, fits lovely into the wheel. All you need to do is swap the bearings from your dr650 wheel into the rgv wheel, and trim down the original spacer from inside the dr wheel to be the same length as the rgv's. Then you need a caliper hanger from a vg22 (1991+) instead of the dr's, and obviously a caliper to go with it. You cant use the dr650 caliper etc because the rgv's rear disc is too small. But the bits are cheap enough off the fleabay.

Then just fit some bridgestone bt090's and sumo away :ride:

Thanks for the link, I've been reading it. I'm going to start this mod shortly, so I'll post a build thread once I get going.