08 Exc-r 530 has anyone run on 87 oct fuel???

i'm in the other places (RON)

Iqaluit, Nunavut, Canada is where i'm going with this bike. no roads up, just planes all year and ships in the summer season. do you know of any base or head gaskets around that will lower my psi?

\

thanks for that info

Ted

i'm in the other places (RON)

Iqaluit, Nunavut, Canada is where i'm going with this bike. no roads up, just planes all year and ships in the summer season. do you know of any base or head gaskets around that will lower my psi?

\

thanks for that info

Ted

i don't know about that, but you should be running around 96 RON in these bikes.

there ignitions are timed to take advantage of more stable fuel, along with the higher compression which you already know about and want to lower

i've never ran that low grade of fuel before, so i can't speak for the bikes ability to run off of it. cause it might be able too for all i know

i've ran an 08 450 EXC-R on 91 RON at sea level without a problem, if your at a reasonably high altitude you might be able to get away with 87 RON, but i would still put a thicker base gasket on it to lower the compression some.

Planes? Look for 110LL or low lead av gas. I don't know how these engines do on leaded gas but check it out or if anybody knows speak up. You might even mix 87 with av gas, again if somebody knows what can be done or mixed to get by.

R+M/2 is the method for determining octane rating in canada too!!!

are you broke and only want to pay for the 87?

or is there only 87 oct up there?

if you can get the 94oct up there then just spend the extra $$.

if you cant get it up there then mix 75% 87oct pump gas with 25% 110 oct {low lead} av gas.

that will give you 92.75 oct witch will be fine for the engine and not too much lead.... or too expesive over the summer

what to the sled guys use in the modified sleds?

Planes? Look for 110LL or low lead av gas. I don't know how these engines do on leaded gas but check it out or if anybody knows speak up. You might even mix 87 with av gas, again if somebody knows what can be done or mixed to get by.

lead is damaging to catalytic converters, which is why we don't use it anymore.

its fine for our bikes, to some debate though, some people say it lubricates the valves, or that it dirties up the motor.

I ride at 7000 feet above sea-level and have used 87 Octane in both my 07' 525EXC and my 300XC two stroker.

Whats the elevation where you are going?

Over 5,000 above sealevel and you are probably good to go with the lower octane fuel.

Lower than that by much and I would think about finding an octane boosting supplement that one of the smarter motor guys recomends.

Find Dave Hopkins or Travis in the search menu and shoot those dudes a PM.

87 RON is about 82.8 (R+M)/2

I ride at 7000 feet above sea-level and have used 87 Octane in both my 07' 525EXC and my 300XC two stroker.

Whats the elevation where you are going?

Over 5,000 above sealevel and you are probably good to go with the lower octane fuel.

Lower than that by much and I would think about finding an octane boosting supplement that one of the smarter motor guys recomends.

Find Dave Hopkins or Travis in the search menu and shoot those dudes a PM.

I don't know where nunavut is

and very few countries other than USA and Canada use (RON+MON)/2

just trying to be helpful

there is no high elevation up where he is talking about

every one in this thread is using (R+M)/2

the fuel we get in Canada is 87oct (R+M)/2 OR 94oct (R+M)/2

thanks for all the info towards fuel, the Nunavut government is cheap for buying fuel. basic 87 oct fuel comes in once a year by ship. no roads, no trains just planes all year and ships in the short summer season. do you know the average psi for this engine? (hot,cold what ever??)

I'm sure that 87 would be fine. To be honest I have never noticed a difference in my bikes between 87/92/94 Oct. ratings. But I'm not a pro rider, just a guy who really likes to ride.

That being said I alway's put in high test in anyway. Even if there is a difference, the lower Oct. isn't going to hurt your bike in any way, which is my primary concern.

I'm sure that 87 would be fine. To be honest I have never noticed a difference in my bikes between 87/92/94 Oct. ratings. But I'm not a pro rider, just a guy who really likes to ride.

That being said I alway's put in high test in anyway. Even if there is a difference, the lower Oct. isn't going to hurt your bike in any way, which is my primary concern.

detonation won't hurt your motor?