xr650L side pin mod

I have lost a couple of the 1/4 turn pins and washers that hold on the left side cover. First I just put some duck tape over the pin recess, which works but didn't look very good. Now I have used bicycle derailure cable to form a loop around the handle and crimped it with an electrical connector, I drilled 1/16 hole in the side panel and ran the loop end through the hole and soldered another crimp end on the tail to keep it pulling though. I attached the washers to the side panel with a small amount of JB weld. Now all the mounting hardware is attached to the panel itself, no more lost pins or washers.

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

I have lost a couple of the 1/4 turn pins and washers that hold on the left side cover. First I just put some duck tape over the pin recess, which works but didn't look very good. Now I have used bicycle derailure cable to form a loop around the handle and crimped it with an electrical connector, I drilled 1/16 hole in the side panel and ran the loop end through the hole and soldered another crimp end on the tail to keep it pulling though. I attached the washers to the side panel with a small amount of JB weld. Now all the mounting hardware is attached to the panel itself, no more lost pins or washers.

Cool, got a pic?

Hi,

Aren't there the teflon washers on the inner side to keep these from falling off? Or did you lose those too? I do alot of rough off road trails and have spilled the bike a few times and never lost these. Maybe the airbox side is worn? Well it sounds like you've got it whupped, was just curious.