Track riding

It has been well over 25 years since I have been on a track. My daughter (15 years old) keeps telling me she would like to try one. My issue is all the nuts out on tracks. I remeber your ago out at Indian Dunes having issues with guys that think they need to take slow riders out. I don't want to see this happen with her. If it did, it would piss me off and I would want to jump on my bike and take them out.

I guess what I'm asking is what tracks around Santa Clarita area are the better ones to take some that has not rode on a track?

Thanks!

I believe the Cal City track to be friendly, and not too 'jump happy'. Competitive Edge also has 'regular' tracks, and is by far the best run, safest factility in So Cal. It has an "Old Man" track too!

Tracks that I have ridden (slow) and not been killed:***

I believe the best way is to make your own track out in the desert first. Create a short track with lots of corners to teach braking/turning/accelerating. Most full size MX tracks are designed for going very fast, and if you don't go fast, you will be considered 'in the way'. Some parks have a 'mini' track that allows beginners riding larger than mini sized bikes.

--Riverside County Tracks

Cahuilla Creek

Starwest MX Park

Lake Elsinore***

Perris Raceway

--La County Tracks

I-5 MX

AV Motoplex

LA County Raceway ***

--San Bernardino County Tracks

Adelanto Motoplex

Competitive Edge MX Park ****

Glen Helen Raceway

River MX Park

Racetown 395 ***

Lucerne Valley Raceway

-- Ventura County Tracks

Piru MX

--Kern County Tracks

Ridgecrest Motorsports Complex

Cal City MX Park ***

We took a ride out to the Piru track. They have a small track also. I think I will try that with her first. They said Mondays and Wednesday are the best days to bring out kids. After seeing the big guys on the big track today, no way will I let her ride on that with them.

Krannie, we do have a little home made track we play on out camping. She wants to get on something with larger jumps. I think we might try that CC track out one time also.

Here she is playing on the little home track.

adelento motoplex is no more.. FYI.

competitive edge is a great place for beginners.. they have tons of tracks.. i would start her off on the pitbike track as it has a few jumps.. and if she gets board she can move to the hillside track(vet track).. it is a great track for beginners. it has some jumps but nothing that she is going to get hurt on.. everything is a tabletop. and she wont get ran over(plenty of room to pass) here is a vid i took a few months back.. i havent updated my vids yet as was their last week. http://www.vimeo.com/2812244

another good track to try out is milestone mx. but they have a membership fee of 35 dollars. but bring a transworld ad in and u get the ride day for free after memebership costs..

Renting out a track mid-week might be a cool thing to put together.We rented out LACR a few years back,and my daughters keep asking when we're gonna do it again.Anyone interested?I'll take 4 spots.

I second the mid-week rental. Going to most any track on the weekend is a zoo....almost like riding at Gorman ? . I use to rent at either LACR or I-5 and would have around 20-25 people sign-up (you always have a few last minute cancellations), and you would rarely get more than 10 people on the track at the same time...another benefit is you usually know all of the people that show up so it's less likely that you'll have any problems on the track with your daughter.

I think at Piru they have Ladie's and 80's sessions on weekends. Im not positive if they still have it but my neighbor used to take his Daughter with him to the track and she would ride those sessions and he would ride the regular sessions.

Give Cal City a try. They are open Friday-Sunday and will now be open on Wednesdays as well.

Saturday and Sunday can get pretty crowded, but Fridays are ussually not busy at all. I would think Wednesdays would be a good time to go as well. There is nothing that she can't roll and the track is really good for practicing turns.

My daughter is 13 and we had fun at AV Motoplex riding together. No one seemed to mind us being so much slower than most. My girl rides a Xr80 but she is rapidly outgrowing. I would like to take her out again, unfortunately, weekdays are out for us. Send me a message if you want to get them together. We will be at the CORVA Cal City Family event this weekend (3/14,15). We live in Valencia too.

I miss Indian Dunes: International track, Shadow Glen, TT, racing on Friday nights...or just zipping across the creek into the hills. The place was awesome.

I'd also reco the Hillside track at Competitive Edge. The superstars ride the other tracks, and slower riders can go at their own pace...AND...make your presence known by standing trackside with a baseball bat in hand!

We took a ride out to the Piru track. They have a small track also. I think I will try that with her first. They said Mondays and Wednesday are the best days to bring out kids. After seeing the big guys on the big track today, no way will I let her ride on that with them.

Krannie, we do have a little home made track we play on out camping. She wants to get on something with larger jumps. I think we might try that CC track out one time also.

Here she is playing on the little home track.

That' all well and good, but that track is way to big for learning on.

+1 on Competitive Edge's mini-bike track. My boys were riding there CRF80F's there when they were 9. Last time we were there, they rode the Hillside track in the afternoon when it cleared out a little & the big bikes were very respectful.