Rabbit Creek?

I've just gotten back into riding after a long layoff and went to Hemingway Butte last weekend (my old favorite ride area, haven't been out there for at least 6 years) and I almost got killed by some moron on a 4 wheeler in one of the sand washes (never seen a quad in those washes before). I was talking to one of the other riders out there and he said that Rabbit Creek was much less traveled than Hemingway, so I thought my riding partner and I might give Rabbit a try this next weekend.

Do any of you have any favorite trails or best areas to ride, or is it pretty much the same as the Hemingway trails? Is there more single track, less whoops?

Thanks.

Mike

There's single track out there you just have to get away from the parking lot. You can ride to Oreana from Hemingway if you want to. I've found most of the lower single track stuff just connects 2 track stuff. It's hard to find single track that is very long. When the snow melts there is a lot more opportunity for it. Saturday we parked out by Murphy and rode 55 miles, about half of that was single track. The only people we saw were in the parking lot when we left. So it is out there you just have to look for it, happy hunting:ride:

Some of the stuff right around the parking lot at Rabbit is whooped out. Generally the further out you go the better. A popular route is to jump in to the wash north of the parking lot and head west. This will take you to 200 along the fence, hang a right and then any left after that. There are usually maps in the cans on the signs 'Owyhee Front'.

Typically the only quads I see around Rabbit are the utility ones and they are just trail riding.

.....only quads I've seen at Rabbit never leave the parking lot!.....?

We see quads out there on the trails sometimes. Less of a quadtard factor tho. Regardless, you just have to be careful, especially on weekends. Even if there are no quads at all, a fast motorcycle coming the other day around a blind curve can easily kill you or put you in the hospital.

We find trails where we can see if we want to ride fast, or else the first rider will ride carefully around the corners, and the rest can let a little gap open up and then chase hard to close it.

• 11 months later...

If you go past Hemingway Butte lot on Reynolds Creek road to some of the upper parking lots, there is a lot less traffic and I think the riding is good or better than below. Obrian is right, most quads I've seen that way never stop doing hot laps in the parking lot to see the back country. One day there was some LOSER on a 700 Raptard racing back back and forth in the lot, around kids, with no helmet or gear of any kind. Don't wish ill to the 4's, they need to show the same respect we show them. Should I have asked the Raptard guy to stop? Just wondering what yu guys would do.

• 3 weeks later...

I have ridden all areas around there and no matter what area you are at you get &%$#@! bikers or quadtards in the parking lot. We have dubbed them parking lot racers in our group. They hall A$$ around the parking lot dodging kids and cars but seldom make it out to really open it up. The only way to get away from it is head out into the desert. I ride both but you do see the a greater amount of retards on the quads, Dont get me wrong, Bikes have there fair share as well.

I have ridden all areas around there and no matter what area you are at you get &%$#@! bikers or quadtards in the parking lot. We have dubbed them parking lot racers in our group. They hall A$$ around the parking lot dodging kids and cars but seldom make it out to really open it up. The only way to get away from it is head out into the desert. I ride both but you do see the a greater amount of retards on the quads, Dont get me wrong, Bikes have there fair share as well.

The correct term for those guys is "Parking Lot Pros". They are a great source of entertainment for me while I am gassing up. I like to count how many of them are wearing tennis shoes and see if it outnumbers the ones wearing tank tops. ?