Sign in to follow this  

Bike won't turn on after winter + hotcam intake install

:p

what the hell?

i charged the battery, it read 11 volts...then i started turning over, but never fired...i did once or twice feel a thump in the airbox...

i also installed a hotcams intake, so this is not only the first time im firing it after a long winter, but also after a new part...

about a month ago, i tried doing it, and it did fire, albeit for only like 3 seconds...

any ideas what it can be? carb is set to prime, ALL hoses are connected...checked clearances,were ok...i did not hav a torque wrench, so i snugged the cam cover blt and valve cover bolts...maybe i tightened too much??

it even has trouble rolling with the clutch pulled in down a hill...

th

:ride:

what the hell?

i charged the battery, it read 11 volts...then i started turning over, but never fired...i did once or twice feel a thump in the airbox...

i also installed a hotcams intake, so this is not only the first time im firing it after a long winter, but also after a new part...

about a month ago, i tried doing it, and it did fire, albeit for only like 3 seconds...

any ideas what it can be? carb is set to prime, ALL hoses are connected...checked clearances,were ok...i did not hav a torque wrench, so i snugged the cam cover blt and valve cover bolts...maybe i tightened too much??

it even has trouble rolling with the clutch pulled in down a hill...

th

11 volts may be pushing the limits of your battery. The bike will not roll smooth in gear if it is turned off b/c the clutch will not fully disengage without oil flow.......:p

thanks will

but how to explain the fact that it still kinda turns over, and the smoke from the exhaust?

or the thump in the airbox>

It's trying its best but just doesn't have the juice to make it happen. Have you rechecked the cam timing?

nope...but im almost 100 sure that its correct...

also, after a few turn overs, i checked voltage...its at 9.5

spark plug? how do you check for that? do you just change it? can it be the plug? i mean, i saw smoke come out of the exhaust, so somewhere there was some sort of ignition, no?

what about a gummed up carb? could that be it?

You will not be able to start your bike with the voltage you have.

You must recharge the battery ,and if it not succeeds ,buy a new one.

and buy an optimiser to keep it topped up over the winter.

Dan

Sure sounds like you need a battery.

I asked about cam timing 'cause it was on the list of things you did since the last time it ran.

nope...but im almost 100 sure that its correct...

also, after a few turn overs, i checked voltage...its at 9.5

Mine did this last year. I went with the battery mod from Eddie and haven't had a problem since. :p

ok so going too tight on the cam cover wont prevent them (cam) from turning the motor rigt?

i mean, its not like i went 60lbsfoot on the bolt, i snugged it by hand....

and the smoke out of the exhaust? is that just condensate?

a gummed pilot jet or some other jet would not prevent the motor from firing would it? i cracked the throttle before starting...

i did put stabil

Did you check valve clearance after putting in new cam?

Mike :p:ride:

ok so going too tight on the cam cover wont prevent them (cam) from turning the motor rigt?

i mean, its not like i went 60lbsfoot on the bolt, i snugged it by hand....

and the smoke out of the exhaust? is that just condensate?

a gummed pilot jet or some other jet would not prevent the motor from firing would it? i cracked the throttle before starting...

i did put stabil

You will not be able to tighten up the cam holders so hard that you can't turn the cams.

But your timing could be off by a tooth or two ,makes it hard to start(and can send your valves right into the piston)

As long you don't have enough current to crank the engine and create enough spark, you will not be able to start your engine anyway.

Check your cam position (Takes max 10 minutes) ,check your valve clearance (Takes 2 minutes) ,charge your battery a bit (30 minutes).

If the bike don't start after checking out these points ,it's time to check the carb and jets.

gotcha!!!

ill do it..so basically if i charge and it isint 12.6V, its toast and wont be able to start the bike despite it turning over and blowing smoke through the exhaust?

i charged the battery:

Voltage is 13.4.... it should fire at this voltage no?

can somebody explain to me how the firing system works.?

how many times does the piston need to turn over for it to fire? what are the variables? And how much does a spark plug need to fire?

i ask cause initailly i saw smoke out the exhaust, so it must have fired, but it never did

thanks all for your replies

give it choke and hit the butten

if your woryed about the cam timing than check it out

whin hot mine starts with in 2 revalutions