Sign in to follow this  

Broken kick start 07 yz290 f

I just put a 290 kit on my 07 and was breaking it in when my kickstart shaft broke.Anyone else with this problem?,,,,,How hard to repair...price of a shaft?

i broke mine. i also was runing a yz292f set up . your talking about the kicker leaver right? i tried welding it with a tig but it really didnt help it just started spider cracks

The shaft is sold as an assembly that includes the kick lever return spring and a few other parts all in one.

You can order up the assembly online....not even $100 bucks maybe?

Then just carefully remove the side cover, swap it in, and replace the cover.

I bought a gasket for the side cover but didn't even need it. I've never taken a side cover off a motor before but it was pretty straight forward.

While its off check your cover for cracks. Mine had a small one right where the kickstart shaft goes through but it was small.

I kick the bike a little easier now...

Note - My local yamaha dealer quoted me $600 bucks for this job and warned me how tough it was. Yeah right!

Im curious. How did this happen? Do you just jump on the kick starter? Or do you push down till there is resistance then kick it?

It is the shaft not the kickstart.It was not wanting to start so was kicking it normal.Then it broke...nothing out of the ordinary.Should I hot start it all the time now ya think?....