Sign in to follow this  

WR250X dual sport mods question

I have a WR250X and would like to use it more like a light dual sport. I live in Alaska and want to do mostly street riding, but I want to take some gravel roads as well. I'm not looking to mod it for real dirt riding. I'm still learning and want to keep this bike for a while, but I'll be upgrading in the future.

I want to do some mods, but I don't want to spend too much $$ or alter it too much to hurt the resale in the future.

I'm thinking of:

Renazco or Corbin seat or just a seat pad

I want to add some 17" dual purpose tires. I like the MEFO explorers the best, but would be ok with some Distanzias.

I'm adding some handguards with different mirrors

I have a small windshield

Any advice on the suggested mods above or any other ideas on what I should do?

Do I need to convert to the Dirt Wheels (21" front and 18" rear) to use it as a light dual sport? I've seen the 17" knobby thread and that is what got me to thinking about this.

As long as the gravel roads you're considering are fairly tame, I don't think you'd have any problem with the WRX and a set of Distanzias.

The only things I'd add to your list is a skid plate, a rack, and/or a tail bag.

Heck, for only gravel, the stock street tires will be fine. It doesn't matter if you have tread, knobs, or slicks on with gravel.

A light weight skid plate may be a good idea for a lot of gravel as it will prevent the rocks from being thrown up at your engine.

A skid plate and bark-busters is all I've done to my WRX and I plan on motarding and backroading with some fairly serious rocks and gravel.

Heck, for only gravel, the stock street tires will be fine.

Ja, fo sho. I've taken mine trail-riding and on a local TT track on the stockers. Just head out and do it. :)

190.jpg

Roknjs what part of ak are you in? I took my

Crotch rocket out to Jim creek on it's

Stock tires! You should be good to go umtill

You encounter mud.

Roknjs what part of ak are you in? I took my

Crotch rocket out to Jim creek on it's

Stock tires! You should be good to go umtill

You encounter mud.

Anchorage. I've ridden on some gravel roads and it was a little squirrelly. Some was mud, but the small gravel seems a little unstable.

I'm still thinking on getting some wheels from Wheeling Cycle Sypply.

I'd skip the fancy seat and buy a slip on, programmer and K&N air filter, wakes the bike up beyond your expectations!