Sign in to follow this  

2006 yz 144 problems

ive recently picked up a 2006 yz 144 ( athena) the bike had 27. hours on it when i got it and i put about an hour and a half on it so 28.5 hours on te meter ...... anyway the first ride on it some roost managed to put a woodchip in the radiator ... well anyway i didnt know about it and nobody told me it was smoking like crazy lol but now that it was ran hot it wont start and now coolant is coming out of te spark plug hole ..... so far i believe ive narrowed it down to the head gasket but people have been telling me things like i might have warped the head or now that it was ran hot ( only about an 1/8 mile ) that ill need a new piston ..... so far ive ordered a top end gasket kit ( it should be here around monday ) and my mecanic and i are going to check it out on monday as well ... i was just wondering ... what do you guys think it could be ?

The head on the athena kit is 2 pieces there is an oring around the spark plug hole between the two hopefully thats your problem. When you get your kit can you post what kind of head gasket you get? I have heard rumors that athena has replaced o-rings with 1 piece gasket of some sort and would be interested if this is true.

Make sure you flat deck the head and cylinder for warpage,if you dont all the work you put into it is going to be a waste.

i´m from europe,i have this same problem,for me it is blowing inner head o ring and water coming out of coolant,did anyone solved this problem?wee narrowed the head but it did again-blown o ring,and again.squish is ok.

What does flat deck mean?

it means taking it to an engine rebuilder, who will plane the head and cylinder flat so they are not warped