Sign in to follow this  

Cam Wear

After posting a question of how hard it is to check the valve clearences - you all talked me into doing it myself. Thank you - it is not hard at all. I did find that all the valves were out of adjustment and need to be reshimmed with smaller "pads". I took the cams out of the bike and noticed that the cam lobes have some wear marks on them. Check out the pictures and tell me if this is normal and can be reinstalled or should I replace them.

cam001.jpgcam002.jpgcam003.jpg

That doesnt look normal to me,but Im sure other people will chime in.

Depending on how many hours are on the engine, that may just be normal wear. If there is a lot of time on the engine and the "wear spots" are smooth, then it is most likely normal.

I did some searching for cams and they are rather expensive. What if I just polish the wear spots with 600 grit emery paper and reinstall it. More input would be appreciated - any Yamaha mechanics want to chime in.

:p

I did some searching for cams and they are rather expensive. What if I just polish the wear spots with 600 grit emery paper and reinstall it. More input would be appreciated - any Yamaha mechanics want to chime in.

i would not do that...you can find cams on ebay cheap...go with that..