Sign in to follow this  

Chain/Engine interface hell

Hi, after some advice.

I've an 01 DR-Z SK model converted to Supermoto. Brilliant bike but the drive chain snapped and has bashed a tiny hole in the engine casing ahead of the gear box sprocket, on the housing for the clutch actuator. I'm planning to try to fix it with some "metal paste". Any advice/opinons would be welcome.

welding would be a better option as this area is oil pressure fed so the paste might not hold the pressure back well enough.

Will welding be possible without dismantling the engine though?

no, slag will get into the motor if you try and weld it while its together.

I'd say use some JB weld, or as you called it "metal paste"-depending on the size of the hole.

Were you running the OEM chain guard, that goes in front of the sprocket?

since the clutch covers are not cheap i decided after the 3rd broken cover that i would try and fix w/jb weld,i put a thin layer on the inside where the crack is and also on the outside where the crack is,that was 3 years ago and many crash's ago.no leaks and when i replaced the clutch the inside fix looked like it did when i put the jb weld on.

jb weld or similar works well for covers but the clutch release shaft is also an oil gallery so not sure about it holding back without leaks but could work.

try it and let us know if you don't mind.

My advise is to split the case. That way you can clean it well for welding. Might be time for a look inside any way.

Thanks everyone. I'll get a photo uploaded this evening.

Your replies confirmed my thoughts really - this is a major engine strip to get to that casing, right?