Sign in to follow this  

More 250f Clutch Drag

Alright guys, another '06 YZ250f clutch drag issue. I've read all the posts about this and hate to start a new one on the same issue, but I'm getting burnt out on this and want to see where you guys would focus next.

Here's what I've done...

-Measured the plates and springs-within specs, no warpage.

-Inspected basket, pressure plate, etc- no wear.

-Soaked the plates overnight, put in lighter oil.

-oh, and Cable is correctly adjusted

This has helped a little bit, it used to go into 1st really hard, I figured the plates were dry, and they were a little bit. The bike doesn't kick into gear as harshly as before but still drags considerably and doesn't go into neutral while running after the bike is warm. I noticed it was fine when I just put the plates back in and ran it up the street so I thought it was fixed.

Can someone explain to me why that washer fix would work for dragging? I can see why for slippage but don't understand the logic behind doing that for a drag problem.

The other thing is that I bought it with an ASV clutch perch. I saw an article about that perch on a YFZ four wheeler where the guy said the ergonomics of it make it so that it might not pull as much of the cable as the stock set up. Has anyone heard anything about this?

I would appreciate any input you might have, thanks!

The washer fix doesn't work and is not related to your problem. At sometime, there *might* have been a situation where the clutch springs became coil bound when the clutch was pulled. However, today, no such situation exists and adding washers will only serve to put less spring force on the clutch pack (which is a bad thing, btw).

Here's what happened to your clutch- Your plates are cooked and will just be a problem until you replace them. You might have oil cooked into the cork material, or the cork might just be glazed really bad, or something else. I fought the same problem with my 05 WR until I finally tossed the plates and now it works just fine. Sometimes, you just need to grin and spend, and this is one of those times.

Did you happen to take the clutch push rod out? The one that goes thru the cases

my 04 was jumping into gear and dragging and the washer fix did indeed fix it. It goes in and out of neutral easily now as well. it cant hurt to try it... its only 79 cents.

My rod was in backward from the factory.The rod has a step down on the diameter that contacts the ball before the pressure plate.My rod was in backward with the smaller step on the left side,this did not let the arm that connects to the cable have as much throw.Check to see if the smaller step is on ths ball.

i dont remember correctly but doesnt the jgr trick work for clutch drag or something putting a spring on the clutch cable; or what is the purpose of this?