Sign in to follow this  

Hill climbs with your 250

Hello guys, have you had any trouble climbing any hills because of lack of power with this bike? It just seems like the best fit for me but im so scared ill get the bike and get tired of it's power, but i have read from actual owners its not a problem. Any vids of climbing hills?

DRZ just seems too old and looks like poo compared to a WR, about same horsepower.

No husky/KTM reputable dealers around

And thats about all my options then

The bike has enough power to climb hills. I have been up some pretty steep and muddy long climbs at the Hancock NY AMA national dual sport event and the bike did just awesome.

If you ride a lot of off road trails and single track ... I suggest you gear the bike down a bit (I went up 3 teeth on the rear).

Here is a thread with some sprocket info ... http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634585

I guess it also depends on your technique. I've seen a very skilled WR250R rider outclimbed a total spode (also my good friend) on his CRF483. Yep, he has a big bore kit in his CRF450. Anyway, the WR250R can climb most hills without issue as long as they aren't deeeep sand or have a lot of steep stair steps to kill the momentum.

Very capable climber, I live in WV so we dont have the longest climbs around but they dont get anymore technical or loamy, we have very steep, rooty, rocky, and also some loamy loose topsoil, Granted my bike is modded pretty heavy, (12t front sprocket, FMF Tuner, FMF exhaust, K&N Air, No airbox top) and some other minor mods,,,,,,,,,Tires are your biggest climbing concern I would be willing to bet, I use the Kenda Trakmasters, they where the most affordable aggressive DOT tire I could find and are night and day difference from stock.

Good Luck and Happy Trails :p

scottmac what gear were you in at the bottom and then at the top.Also do you have stock gearing?

Thanks

Jim

I'm running 13/46 - 2nd gear at the bottom and just

kept it in 2nd all the way up.

Well, here is my two cents worth. I usually ride a heavily altered CRF 450X. There is always power to spare so when I added the WR to my fleet, I found that it was time to beef it up a bit. It now has the FMF Q pipe and programmer which made a ton of difference. Also, removed the air box flap and added a Twin Air filter. As for the hill climbs, I added 5 teeth to the rear sprocket and that was a perfect move for me. The speedo was way inaccurate to begin with and now it is more than ever but I just use it for a reference anyway. I always ride with my Garmin GPS which gives PERFECT speed reading as well as miles traveled, etc. The little WR is obviously weaker than the CRF as well as 50 pounds heavier at 290+ pounds and with my 190 more on top of it, still manages to find the top of some plenty long and rough hillclimbs. The stock tires will get you stuck on dry pavement. I added a set of Dunlot knobbies to mine (no matter what the Texas DPS says) and I doubt if I will make any more changes to it. Just twist the right wrist a little more!! Buena suerte!!