Sign in to follow this  

OMG!!! I've got Problems!!!

In January I traded in my street bike for a 06 RMZ 450:smirk: They started it up for me I listened to it run it sounded pretty good looked really clean I was told it had "very low hours". So I got her home and removed all the plastic to put some different graphics on it. Then later I noticed the rear shock was leaking I figured no use complaining about that since I will be rebuilding and revalving it anyways. So I had it all set up for my wait with all the goodies put into the shock and dropped 450$ on that. While I was in there I lubed up the the swingarm and linkage bearings and installed a Renthal chain and sprocket, While i was in there I noticed the chain guide plate was worn through and the chain chewed into the swingarm a bit nothing to terrible. Then I figured I better pull the top end and replace the piston and check the valves and timing chain because then again it is a used bike. So I start by draining the coolant only getting a couple cups out of it :p So then I drain the oil pull the plug and the stuff coming out kinda smells like gear oil 75-90W now im getting nervous pull the filter out and OMG I have never seen so much metal collected by a single filter in my life!!!! And im a Auto Mechanic, I havent even rode this darn thing yet. They said the oil had been changed and it was ready to ride B!S! So then I proceed to remove the head to see what I'm dealing with Intake cam comes right out Exhaust cam the thing is stuck in there it had to be pryed out cam journal is junk wore down to the valve tappet:banghead: now Im getting pissed because I'm seeing dollars sailing out of my pocket! So it needs a cylinder head. Cylinder is still ok piston has some scratches. The Lower rod bearing is junk!! So heres the thing either this dealer didnt even look at this bike when they got it which is my guess or they put fricken gear oil in it to quite it down enough just to dump it off. The gear oil is probably what wrecked the cam journal because it took forever to get up there to lubricate it. I feel totally Screwed over here and Im not really sure how to approch them about it.

I_8709.jpg

I_8718.jpg

I_8721.jpg

I_8724.jpg

I_8688.jpg

I_8689.jpg

I_8691.jpg

I_8702.jpg

I_8705.jpg

either they didn't know and got screwed too, or they did, and passed the problem to you. It sucks bad. It sounds like it's time to have a conversation . All is not totally lost. You're probably screwed, but it's worth a try. You've got timing issues, because a couple months have passed... you really needed to inspect the thing on day one.Maybe, just maybe,with a professional approach ,they might e willing to help. You could try small claims court,but I doubt you would win on an "as-is" contract dispute..... good luck to you

I would throw everything in your truck and take it back asap and if they dont give you your money back file a lawsuit. get pictures and write everything down for evidence.

Yea I really wanted to check it sooner but its been so darn cold here In Wisconsin. I can repair it myself even if I got help with the parts at least. Im thinking I am going to take the gearlube I drained from it and the oil filter filled with chunks of metal, and probably the cylinder head to show them I wont go in there screaming but just to see what they can do. But I'm guessin I have 10 people sayin that the bike hasnt been moved or started since I brought it home.

I Would Take Them To Small Claims Court.even Though There Was No Guarentee On This Bike It Sounds Like Fraud.even When Buying Something Used Like This Bike It Is Implied That It Is Not Worn Out Junk.they Did Tell You It Was Ready To Ride.i Think Any Mediator In Small Claims Court Would Hand This Guy His Ass

Also The Fact That The Gear Oil Was In There Shows They Were Hiding The Problems

no way to prove they put the gear oil in....

I'm all for legal action when someone gets screwed, but I don't see you winning this one. I'd take it all back in, document everything you can, but I doubt you'll get much. Maybe a break on the parts you need to fix it. It's a 3 year old used dirt bike....

Be calm, be logical, don't throw around threats. One phrase that has worked for me is "that's just not acceptable". Another gold mine is if they have a mission or vision statement posted somewhere about treating customers right - point it out, ask them if it means anything..

Good luck!

I'm guessing they didnt put the gear oil in it, I'm thinking the previous owner did and they never serviced it if they did they would have seen the metal caked in the filter and it would never have made it to the floor in that condition. A break on the parts would be fine with me I'm not gona make a lawsuit out of it. I could repair it myself in less than a day with all the parts.

I'm guessing they didnt put the gear oil in it, I'm thinking the previous owner did and they never serviced it if they did they would have seen the metal caked in the filter and it would never have made it to the floor in that condition. A break on the parts would be fine with me I'm not gona make a lawsuit out of it. I could repair it myself in less than a day with all the parts.

what dealer did you get it from?

Sounds like ole Chubbs Sportjunk needs to check out his previously owned rides alil closer.

thats my thought as well. i think your on the right track. if you try being the angry, threatening, guy suing them theres a good chance youll lose. especially since its so long after the sale. if you are friendly, and ask for simple concessions theres a good chance youll get somewhere with them. it also shows them that your an understanding customer who they might want to keep around for future business. i would shoot for a deal on parts as you mentioned, talk discretely and dont make a scene.

my wife sold a car to a kid for $600. the kid knew the car needed some parts, but it was a $600 car than ran. the kids dad didnt like the car. he called up after the sale, and after the car had been at his house for a day or so. he was an absolute dick to my wife, he was rude and he tried the old "i have friends who are cops, this car is unfit for the road, if you dont return all his money and take back this car im suing you" she handed me the phone he threatened me and yelled at me and got absolutely no where with me.

If you talk to the dealer like stated be respectful and just let them know what going on.I work at a suzuki dealership and we get people in that have tried to be angry and acting like boneheads.everytime the cutomer comes in trying to be the hrero he gets nothing.for the gut that walks in and is civilized and talks normal gets a break.so yes just try to have patience with the dealer and hopefully you get a break since you had the bike for awhile now.good luck either way.

Well I contacted the dealer today and got nothing but "I will put you through to his Voice mail box" and no returned call. And a "We dont put any warranty on used dirt bikes" thats from the service guy. Maybe the owners just that busy but I doubt it, its not looking to good so far on any help from them.:p

Well I contacted the dealer today and got nothing but "I will put you through to his Voice mail box" and no returned call. And a "We dont put any warranty on used dirt bikes" thats from the service guy. Maybe the owners just that busy but I doubt it, its not looking to good so far on any help from them.:p

did you call them? i would go there in person

Yea I called its almost 2 hrs away and by the time I get off work they are closed

Send the hear off the be fixed, my friends 250F had the cams seize in the head and sent it off to somewhere and the redid the cam journal's for 125. f you search this site you can find the place that does this kind of work.

O yea I can sell you a piston kit for cheap.

Well I sent the whole cylinder head off to Engine Dynamics hopefully it doesnt cost to much dough. Im having him check the valves, guides the whole nine

Also The Fact That The Gear Oil Was In There Shows They Were Hiding The Problems

Well, it shows someone was hiding the problem. Could have been the previous owner. Just being devil's advocate. But, that is what they will say.

Is this a reputable Suzuki dealer? They should care about there reputation! You may talk to the Better Business Bureau. They can mediate and if no solution if found, you're incident will go on their record. Some people check that before they buys something. So the dealer should care.

The "people saying you didn't ride it" is hearsay and I doubt that does you any good. The cold weather might though. Because that is a instantly provable fact.

From what I've heard when one of these 4 strokes gets that bad, it's usually turned into a parts-bike. I hope you have better fate.