Sign in to follow this  

small corner of film broke off in my seal

So I was doing the 35 mm film trick to clean a leaky fork seal when a small piece of the film broke off under the seal. :p It was the corner maybe a 16th of an inch and it seems to be lost in there. How big of a problem is this, could it cause any damage if its stuck or floating around in there. Thanks for any advise on this.

Well, it could end up being stuck under the seal lip and cause it to leak, just like any foreign particle can do. I have seen a couple of dozen forks that some one did what you did. Personally I recommend either a tear off or a super thin feeler gauge.

You got the right idea, just the wrong material

personally, i recommend just taking the forks apart and cleaning the seals properly. If the fork oil hasn't been changed in a while, it's probably due. If it has been changed very recently, you can pour it into a clean container and reuse.

Hey zukrider, you have a wr450f, right? assuming the forks are similar to the wr250f, they're pretty easy to work on. We cleaned the seals on tresa's old wr250f in an hour or so. If you haven't worked on forks before and are intimidated by them, I could give you a hand. IIRC, the kyb open chamber forks are pretty much exactly like WP forks in terms of disassembly.

I doubt a little piece of plastic will damage anything, but it could lodge somewhere i supppose and cause the damping to be inconsistent or something.