Sign in to follow this  

Blasted Spark Plugs

So, I had some spark plugs that I blasted clean with abrasive media stuff, and I was looking inside with the spark plug and down in the bottom there were some little peices of media that would not come out no matter what I tried. I am wondering if I go ahead and run this plug in my 125, is there a chance of the little peices of media coming out in my engine and wreaking havoc, or will they just burn up?

Are you kidding? Alluminum oxide just doesn't burn up it scores the hell out of your piston and destroys rod bearings. Rule #1, always use a wire wheel to to clean spark plugs, never a grit blaster. :p

Shit, I already used the spark plug, and my bike seemed fine and I even did a compression check after that, and I had close to 150psi, when the cylinder gets scored, Does it lower the compression?

It will lower compression if the abrasive comes out and scratches things up.

If it has not done so already, consider yourself lucky. Toss the plug and try again.

There was just a couple little peices inside the plug, the thing is, I was riding my bike and it just felt like it didnt have as much power all of the sudden, but it still had the same compression.

just buy new plugs man dont be cheep it can cost you in the long run never mind the monney think about the down time to get a new bore on your jug in the spring most shops are going to be 2 weeks out to get it plated as for the power loss its most likely the plug pooping the bead agin.

I clean my pugs with a spark plug cleaner which uses sand blasting media.

Then I blow it clean with compressed air use a thin piece of wire that I have flattened just for this purpose and get those pieces that are stuck down inside next to the insulator. wire wheel the threads to remove any grit blow with compressed air again and install. No problems.

Unless you are for some reason going through spark plugs like they're going out of style, I don't see any reason to clean them.

I change mine once a year just for the heck of it.

I change mine once a year just for the heck of it.

Now that my jetting is right, that's what I do, and I even use the cheap ES plugs.