Sign in to follow this  

Here are the requirements.. what bike do I want?

Trail/woods bike (not street legal) -

Light (sub 240lbs)

Good low to mid power

Under $2500 used

4-stroke optional

I have a '06 DRZ400SM - don't want to convert it, it's too heavy.

I recently bought a '00 CR125 - no low end power, but I love the handling.

I'm not shy about maintenance, so I can buy an older used model and get it where I want. What are your thoughts?

Find a good condition, late model KDX200 or 220 for $2000 or less. Take the extra $500 + and upgrade the forks. Most will swap out the front end for a decent set of single chamber USD forks from late 90's KX 125 or 250's.

I'm more and more leaning to 4-strokes. The XR250 is appealing, just a bit heavy.

A full size four stroke that is under 240 lbs will narrow your choices down to the 250f MX bikes.

A full size four stroke that is under 240 lbs will narrow your choices down to the 250f MX bikes.

I'm finding that to be true. I may have to modify my requirements. :p

Find a good used KLX300. I sold my 2001 a while back for $2500, and it had a FSW headpipe, pumper carb, and breather kit, and hotstart kit.

They are about 233 lbs, and turn really well. Nice low to mid when modified as above, 3rd gear power wheelies are easy. Very nimble woods bike.

I had an 05 KTM200EXC, and although it was a little quicker, it was much harder to ride, and the KLX would climb rooty, slick hills that the KTM would not.(at least with me on it):p

Find a good used KLX300. I sold my 2001 a while back for $2500, and it had a FSW headpipe, pumper carb, and breather kit, and hotstart kit.

They are about 233 lbs, and turn really well. Nice low to mid when modified as above, 3rd gear power wheelies are easy.

Really?? You must be a pretty light rider.

Really?? You must be a pretty light rider.

No, 190 pounds. It would barely lift a 2nd gear wheelie with the throttle when I got it.

The stock KLX300 pipe is actuallly the old 250 headpipe, and chokes the bike. Also the stock CV carb kills the response.

After the mods, and with the proper jetting for my area,installed by Jerry at FSW, my KLX brought the front end up in third all the time! It did not feel like the same bike at all. In fact it became a trail wheelie machine, I constantly went down the trail popping the front end up everywhere, just because.:p

Find a good condition, late model KDX200 or 220 for $2000 or less. Take the extra $500 + and upgrade the forks. Most will swap out the front end for a decent set of single chamber USD forks from late 90's KX 125 or 250's.

+1 http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/