Sign in to follow this  

Would a wr250r be a good bike to drive mainly on the street?

Ok right now I have a tw200 but I am looking to get something a little bigger. My only real complaint on the tw200 is that you really have to push it to get to go 70 mph. 70 MPH is fast enough for me I just want something that will go that fast without having to push it to the limit. Would a wr250r be a good bike? I ride mainly around town so I would be going about 50 mph for about 20-30 minutes. Once in a great while I might go over to next town which I would have to go 65-70MPH for about 45 minutes. Some guys have told me this would be the perfect bike for me and others tell me this is somewhat a race bike and riding at a constant speeds like you do on the street would tear that engine up. Is this true or not?

I have also considered a drz400 but I hate suzuki and given my size I think that bike would be a little heavy to ride in the dirt. I like to do a little trail riding once in a while, no racing or extreme hill climbs.

I have also considered getting a cruiser but I just don't want to give up the ability to ride in the dirt right now.

What is a good bike for me?

Thanks

Max speed is 85 mph, basically the same as a stock geared DRZ-400. The DRZ will get you there quicker, but both will probably be at the same RPM at 70 mph. I found my DRZ to be okay at 70 mph, but I wouldn't want to sustain that speed for more than 20 miles at a time. Both bikes are much happier at 55-65 mph.

Both the DRZ and WRR have relatively long maintenance intervals, and should work fine as commuter bikes. The WRR can get around 70 mpg on the pavement, while the DRZ gets about 50-55 mpg.

OhioPT was bang on with his info. I have an 02 DRZ 400S that's just north of 12K in mileage. I also have a 2003 YZ250F that is having a new topend with about 110hrs of riding time. Both the WR and The YZ have similar maintence profiles.

For more street vs. off road I prefer the DRZ. Just put oil and gas in it and ride it for years. I agree that it can get heavy in the tight stuff but at the end of the day I'm less tired when I've riden the DRZ.

with the WRR you'll get a six speed gearbox.

In the yamaha forum I just saw someone that road from Idaho to Arizona without any problems at all.

I would think that the fuel injection on the WR would be a big plus for someone in CO.

I suspect your friends(and RideOn2) that said the WR is a race bike were thinking of the f and not the r.

Either one would be fine for what you describe though.

I ride my WR at 70-75 mph all the time. Last week it was to Norwalk and back - a 120 mile round trip and the WR had no trouble at all.

Don't let anyone tell you the WR250R is no good on the freeway. :p

Some guys have told me this would be the perfect bike for me and others tell me this is somewhat a race bike and riding at a constant speeds like you do on the street would tear that engine up. Is this true or not?

Man, it's hard to believe that people are STILL confusing the ALL NEW WR250R dual sport bike with the WR250F and YZ250F - they are TOTALLY different bikes (not you bellinoracing, the ones giving you misguided advice).

I think the WR250R would be a fine choice for what you want to do.

Like other have said; I think the WRR would be great for what you're describing.

Given your location, the EFI would be a huge benefit as is the extra gear in the tranny over the DRZ.

I like the DRZ as well; but for the money they need to get another gear and EFI to warrant the price of a new one IMO.

well i have the x instead of the r but what everyone is saying is true.

i have gotten mine up to the 90mph mark but it is very happy around the 60mph mark.

the only thing you need to rember with the wr250r/x is it loves being run in upper rpm's. it will not have the low rpm torque of your tw but it will make you happy when you are tortureing it in traffic.

only other reccomendation i would make is more frequent oil changes than the manual states. i find the oil gets dark really fast when you do the reccomended intervals.

This is a false statement.

Remember, we are talking about the WRR, NOT the WR-X, so that might make a difference in top speed. Also, top speed is measured on a level surface, NOT down a hill. And also consider that most factory speedos are inaccurate, so the only good way to know your speed is via GPS (mine DRZ was off 5-7 mph at speeds above 65 mph). I got 85 mph from a recent Cycle World article. Where did you get your info from??

This is a false statement.

I don't think it is. I went on an extended dual sport trip this past weekend. 160 miles of pavement to the event, 120 miles of mixed off-road including quite a bit of nasty single track, then another 160 miles back home.

On Saturday afternoon, I found a nice, long, straight stretch of seldom used blacktop and just opened her up. I've still got my gps sitting here beside me. Top speed was 85.7mph. I was indicating 103. Keep in mind that I was running a 12/43 combo.

On the ride down, I had the stock 13t counter sprocket on and it sucked. I had a strong head wind and that poor little bike didn't have enough umph to use 6th gear hardly at all. Once I got to the event, I swapped out for the 12T counter and left it on for the rest of the weekend and the ride home so I could get a comparison. With the 12T on the front, 6th gear was usable again. Into the wind, uphill, didn't matter, she just pulled. 65 is easy peasy, extended 70 is fine, then it started to get uncomfortable if I ran more than that. I think the discomfort was mostly due to no wind protection and sitting in a 75 mph blast of air for miles on end is just tiring. Keep in mind I'm talking actual gps speeds here, and not indicated . . . which is much higher.

Now, way back to the OP's question . . . I put thousands upon thousands of miles on my KLR and used it for everything from extended dual sport trips to commuting and now that I have the WRR, I'll tell you it is hands down better for commuting and running around town than the KLR ever was. I actually like it better for everything . . . except extended highway where the KLR would easily do 80mph all day and the WRR is happier between 65-70.

Where did you get your info from??

From a GPS mounted on the bike. My X, bone stock would do 94 mph on the highway, flat. It took a while, but it did it. My brother's WRR did 91+ on the same stretch of highway, same GPS.

With a couple cheap mods, the X and the R can top 95 mph.

And I know this from first hand, real world experience. Not from what I read in a magazine.

Some people with 09's are claiming over 100 mph.

Truthfully, I don't know why anyone would want to even go faster than 85mph on these bikes. It's not very practical or fun for that matter. 65 to 75 comfortably is all that needs to happen, and it does that extremely well.

Guys - note that the '09 WR250R/X has about a 10mph top speed advantage over the '08.

Why's that? More power, taller gearing?

I did read something like this but dont know why or if its true even..?

It was actually the blue X's that are faster. :)

There are a few minor differences, but nothing I've seen or heard that should affect performance.