Sign in to follow this  

what would you paint on your bike

Me and a friend were just discussing making our bikes look a bit more "trick" but saving money by not going to the PC shop... these are some things we thought you might be able to, and some we would never try...

good ideas

-the valve cover (high temp paint)

-the bar clamps

-possibly tripple clamps

-axel blocks front and rear

-handle bars

-drain plugs

-sub frame

-and the little bolts that hold the shroud on

-oil filter cover

never try

-frame

-plastics

-rims

-clutch cover and what ever you call the cover on the other side

-spokes

-swing arm

-foot pegs

undecided

-hubs

-kick starter

-sprockets (may sound like a no brainer not to, but could look cool when the paint gets worn off the teeth)

-exhaust silencer

Any reasons not to paint anything i listed in the good ideas? and what about the undecided? Let me know what you think.

i dont think i would paint anything on my bike it would look cheezy

When I bought my bike unfortunately the plastic was already painted. I plan on painting the frame sometime but probably not any time soon. The frame is really the only thing I would paint though. I would only paint it because it is starting to wear off from my boot.

i wouldnt paint the frame because it would wear off way to easy

Don't paint anything, it will look like crap in no time. Instead, but a hobby powder coating package from www.eastwoodco.com and then buy a large toaster oven and go to town on your parts. Thats what I did, so far I have powder coated my engine covers, shock spring, triple clamps, next is the hubs, and linkage. The frame is off to a shop to get powder coated since I would need a giant oven.

i didnt figure it would look too bad as long as nothing rubbed against it

Don't paint anything, it will look like crap in no time. Instead, but a hobby powder coating package from www.eastwoodinc.com and then buy a large toaster oven and go to town on your parts. Thats what I did, so far I have powder coated my engine covers, shock spring, triple clamps, next is the hubs, and linkage. The frame is off to a shop to get powder coated since I would need a giant oven.

I would buy a powdercoating package from them but the website you posted is for a water/sewer compliance page:banghead: :p:ride:

yeah water sewer *** is that? I would powder coat the frame paint on anything would wear off to easy it is a dirtbike!!!

some advice...don't use the duplicolor anodize paints...I tried em 2 weeks ago and when I got done I got more flakes(chips) than a box of cereal...and that was with the ground coat paint and a clear coat...pc is the only way to go...but don't go too over board...like said above...it'll look cheezy...good luck

i wouldnt paint the frame because it would wear off way to easy

if you do it right it's as good as stock. your talking about the steelies right? i wouldn't paint bolts cause as soon as you tighten them the paint comes off.

Don't paint anything, it will look like crap in no time. Instead, but a hobby powder coating package from www.eastwoodinc.com and then buy a large toaster oven and go to town on your parts. Thats what I did, so far I have powder coated my engine covers, shock spring, triple clamps, next is the hubs, and linkage. The frame is off to a shop to get powder coated since I would need a giant oven.

the powder coat works well even with the spring compressing? did you sandblast the old paint or whatever it is off first?

Me and a friend were just discussing making our bikes look a bit more "trick" but saving money by not going to the PC shop... these are some things we thought you might be able to, and some we would never try...

good ideas

-the bar clamps

-possibly tripple clamps

-axel blocks front and rear

-handle bars

-oil filter cover

-hubs

-kick starter

-sprockets -exhaust silencer

Any reasons not to paint anything i listed in the good ideas? and what about the undecided? Let me know what you think.

The following above will either wear off soon, chip, or end up flaking off when you wash the bike. I painted my rear caliper guard, swingarm plugs, skidplate, perches, and hot start bracket on my yzf. They problem is, when a bolt or pressure is applied to the part, it likes to crack or star, so you have to be careful when installing them. My skid plate is holding up ok because I put a lot of coats on it. The other pieces on my bike are powdercoated.

104_0225.jpg

104_0224.jpg

104_0222.jpg

The only parts I have painted on my bike are the rear caliper guard and ignition cover. Both are made of plastic, and I used a krylon paint made for plastic surfaces. Its been on for about half a year and gone through considerable abuse from riding to pressure washing alike. Its held up fine and looks as good as the day I painted it.

I say, if its a piece that wont come in contact directly while riding with objects or you, and its plastic, it will hold up fine. That has been my experience at least.

As far as metal, I haven't tried any parts, but I would expect it to wear away and look terrible after a short amount of time. PC'ing is definitely the way to go for metal parts.

Yeah, sorry I posted the link wrong, it is www.eastwoodco.com , I edited it in my first post.

The PC is very flexable, way better than paint which is ridged and flakes. I powder coated a thin gauge steel just to test it, and I could put a 90 degree bend in the piece and the PC never faulted. I took a hammer to it and everything, PC holds up great if the prep work is done properly.

the only parts i could paint on my bike that you listed were bar clamps :p

i painted my engine plugs, triple clamps, and and exaust cans, oww and header gaurd. everything looks like the day i pained it, however i am a bit concerned about the exaust cans, dont know if they will hold up or not, parts that are exposed to heat usually hold up good

some advice...don't use the duplicolor anodize paints...I tried em 2 weeks ago and when I got done I got more flakes(chips) than a box of cereal...and that was with the ground coat paint and a clear coat...pc is the only way to go...but don't go too over board...like said above...it'll look cheezy...good luck

hmm....i used duplicolor on my old xr's rims, exhaust, levers, and wheelie bar......its held up great so far.....but i did use the apllicator, and ground coat, following directions religiously and doing plent of coats of each....its held up well

i painted my engine plugs, triple clamps, and and exaust cans, oww and header gaurd. everything looks like the day i pained it, however i am a bit concerned about the exaust cans, dont know if they will hold up or not, parts that are exposed to heat usually hold up good

Can I see a picture of the triple clamps? Just curious how it looks