Sign in to follow this  

Inner water pump seal replacement without removing R/H cover

So I was doing my water pump seals today on my 07 505 SX-F and was a little stumped.... Everywhere I read I was being told you had to remove the entire right side cover in order to replace the inner water pump seal.

Anyways...Just thought I would post that there is no need to remove the R/H cover at all. Just drill a 1/16" hole partially through the inner seal and jamb a pick through it and pull it out. I have no idea why everyone is posting you need to tear the entire cover off?

because I tried that first and the seal would not come out.

because I tried that first and the seal would not come out.

Was there corrosion on the pump driveshaft? I found the seal would not come out so I polished the pump shaft with some crocus cloth and it slid right out. Also spinning the seal as it came out helped...

Last resort would be to screw a sheet metal screw into the 1/16" hole and use pliers or a slide hammer to pull it out...

Just mentioning it cause it may save someone some time...

I changed the entire shaft assembly at the same time because I thought that was the problem that caused the seal to go in the first place. Likely ktm just had the seal in backwards from the factory? and also likely I could have just changed the outer seal and been fine. Either way it happened in the first 15 hours on my bike and hasn't done it again yet since then 80 hours later so I think something wasn't right from the factory - not just normal wear and tear.