Sign in to follow this  

Report on the Athena 280 and the 08 cam

stuck them in my 07. I run a 13/50. Offroad it works great and infact I would go to a 13/49. On the track I sems I still need 13/51. Once in the mid range the effect seems to be mostly cam. Not alot of low end grunting on the mx track. For offroad the Athena would be great. As it is I think I prefered the JE hi comp piston. That with the 08 cam would probably work about the same in terms of midrange and up, which is where you are mostly on th MX track. It did not help me clear anything or make me turn any better. But then again the track I was at is a really really fast track. Maybe tighter more technical less flowing tracks would be a good fit though.

When it wears out I'll go back to the JE hi comp piston and port the head with the 08 cam and springs.

The 280 with the 08 cam in the 07 head seems to balance power nicley though. I read about the bike being unbalanced powerwise and what not. I was worried about the "character" of the bike changing. Not so. Can't say resullts willl be the same on an 05/06 bike though or even an 08 for that matter. I experienced no falling off and other things people reported. The powerband seemed to pulll longer than before and not fall off as fast actually but that is the cam head combo. If I had a stock 07 I'd put the 08 can straight in and put a JE hi copm piston when the tie comes. For MX I'd skip the Athena, and just cam and piston it. Nice product and all but it seems I hardly notice it, but I am sure it varies by rider and terrain. If I was off road I'd be all ove rit though.

I was hoping for results like my 144 had. Not even close in tems of overall effect.

I have a stock 07 dual exhaust and weigh 185 in undies.

It's probably got an additional 2hp everywhere....so to speak.

BUt you just don't realize any of it with how smooth it is.

Only way to every get a mod four stroke to feel mod like a 2 stroke feels mod is to run nasty cams and a set up with a hit that doesn't turn faster laps.....A "40" horse 250f done well will feel similar to a stock bike....but lay down better laps etc....

anyways....biggest question is...do you need more bike, or more seat time!

For sure pros on 250F pass me like I am standing still. But in my calss everyone rides a 450 and while we all suck and corner about the same they just out gun me on the straights.

Your right, you know what would make my 250F really fast? Me learning how to turn. :ride: If I could do that I would take away the 450 power advantage for guys who would hten corner alot slower than me. I need more seat time no question.

I don't know 49? I was going to go back to the 51. With the 49 I would guess I would corner in first gear. Not sure if it would have long enough legs even with a 49, almost seems like I'd need a 48 for that.

Anyone corner in first gear with a 250F on an MX track? If I try now it is just too short and second is too tall. Single biggst problem I have is finding the right gear for corners. In second gear, 13/51 works well but revs out too soon and 13/50 is too tall not enough snap. as hoping the big bore would help that. Not really, maybe I do need a 49. :p

def try to avoid first! I always wonder why first exists on an mx bike for mx....

Corner speed is always the money maker....but its hard to rail them when behind someone who doesnt...

Good luck getting it dialed in!

First gear on a moto track? I don't think I ever used first except for taking off.

Don't be afraid to feather the clutch in the turns and use a higher gear.

With the big bore kit you should easily be able to drop 2 teeth off the rear.

Get youself a 22 mm offset tripple clamp for that 07. A stock 08 one will work - they are 22 mm. It makes that bike turn a whole lot better! The stock 24 mm ones make it turn like a pig. It's a very noticeable difference.

I have the 08 22mm offset clamps and the damper on there with the MX Bonz kit already.

It is worth noting, my friend with an 06 450 sad he thought the stock bike was gutless and he thought the 280 had plenty of power. He is 155 pounds.

i think you and i are a whole lot a like when it comes to our weight...the way we ride a bike...the way we like a bike to handle and have power down low...old school 2 stroke riders...etc...etc...with the exception that im a few years older than you and you are probably faster than me.:p here is what i found with my trying...buying different bikes...i love the 07 crf250 better than any other bike that ive owned with th exception of the stock power...for me to fix the power problem it will cost me around 1600 when its all said and done and then im not real sure what i will have compared to a 450 not even counting never ever getting back anything on the motor mod money that i will have spent...if anything it will actually make the bike harder to sale over a stock motored bike...so i figure the motor mods will make my bike worth less when i ever decide to sale it:banghead: which bring us to the 450...i had a 06 crf450 and did not like it at all...i just had a 07 rmz450 and loved it,but also got wounded up on it{my stupidity} and sold it,only because i tried selling the 07crf250 first and never got a call on it and i was hurt and couldn't ride for a while and sure didn't need both bikes sitting in the garage rusting with this economy the way it is:foul: that my freind was the biggest mistake ive made in a while...i am looking to buy another 07 rmz450 because they are everything you can ask for in stock bike form....after all this writing,my point is i think if you ever get on a 07 rmz450 that you will be amazed and your quest for the perfect bike might just be over:thumbsup:

yeah I hear you. I rode the 09 Honda 450F and if they were around I would have gotten that. Feels like a 250 but has torque to the moon without the weight and crappy handling of the 06 450F. I have the 250f right now and in this economy I will make it work, know what I mean. I'll go back to stock gearing and that should fix the issue I suspect.

I'll see if I can get a ride on an RMZ450 at the track. Not alot around here though, Market is dominated by Honda dealers. 19 compared to 4 Suzuki/Kawi dealers. The opposite of Texas.

i forgot to thank you for sharing the good info on the 280 kit...i would have surely thought that you could have dropped 2 teeth and rip out of the bottom end to mid with the big bore...it is kinda of dissapointing to hear different:banghead: i guess with the economy being the way it is that i am stuck with my 07 crf250 {not in a bad way,because i really do like the bike} and i am not going to be satisfied untill i do some motor and carb work to get that thing stroking...im just going with porting...valve job...cam...and some carb work...i woud be happy with some more power across the whole rpm range...i still run 2 teeth less with stock motor and dont notice getting pulled to much out of corners by other 250f's and i think it helps keep my motor from blowing thru the rpms so fast,like it does with stock gearing and i see some extra speed on the top end that has helped me pull some bikes going into a turn at the other end:thumbsup: i guess im thinking too much about how much it will cost and the money i would lose when i resale,because i buy and sale a lot,but that has really slowed down with the economy...so i may just have this 07 crf250 for a long time...any help and info to make it go faster is really apreciated:ride:

If you ride off-road you can do a 13/48 for sure, it is nice to have the longer pulling gears and less shifting and for offroad the big bore is pretty nice. Kind of like a wide ratio gear box. On the MX track it just does not pan out that way at least not for me, I was looking for more snap and urgency with the power in the corners like a 2 stroke. They only way to get that is gearing.

Ok, perhaps not for guys who corner wide open to begin with but then they do not need a bog bore, but for me, who is used to steering with the back a bit more the big bore really did not allow you to use higher rear sprockets. I could maybe get used to it a bit more and make the 50T work though.

I suspect the stock gearing and the big bore will work well in that the extra power that is there will help with the extra weight and make it more like a lighter guy was riding it. It is no way turns the 250 into a 450 in terms of power and torque.

I have it, I rode it and the effects are fairly over stated. There IS more power but not to go down 3 teeth in the rear and have it break loose as easy as the stock gearing did. The BBK and stock gearing should work well with a heavy rider. We are talking about 2 hp here.

Put the 08 cam in though. That is really nice in the mid range and you definitely gain a bit up top. The stock 07 falls off a bit faster up top. If you do that be sure you go to a 185 or so on the main jet. I think that with the JE Hi comp will work really nice for you. If I did it again I'd stick with that but that is just me and my style. It may work great for some on the track.

The effect of the 144 kit on the 125 was WAY WAY WAY WAY more dramatic than this is. That was freaking bananas.

not trying to get away from the purpose of this post,but what is everybodys opinion on which brand 250f is the most responsive to bigbore kits and is one brand easier to get more power out of than others with certain mods with out being time bombs? has anyone ever rode a 250f that they thought was a ton stronger than other 250f's or might could be competitive with a 450 and what brand was it?

If you ride off-road you can do a 13/48 for sure, it is nice to have the longer pulling gears and less shifting and for offroad the big bore is pretty nice. Kind of like a wide ratio gear box. On the MX track it just does not pan out that way at least not for me, I was looking for more snap and urgency with the power in the corners like a 2 stroke. They only way to get that is gearing.

Ok, perhaps not for guys who corner wide open to begin with but then they do not need a bog bore, but for me, who is used to steering with the back a bit more the big bore really did not allow you to use higher rear sprockets. I could maybe get used to it a bit more and make the 50T work though.

I suspect the stock gearing and the big bore will work well in that the extra power that is there will help with the extra weight and make it more like a lighter guy was riding it. It is no way turns the 250 into a 450 in terms of power and torque.

I have it, I rode it and the effects are fairly over stated. There IS more power but not to go down 3 teeth in the rear and have it break loose as easy as the stock gearing did. The BBK and stock gearing should work well with a heavy rider. We are talking about 2 hp here.

Put the 08 cam in though. That is really nice in the mid range and you definitely gain a bit up top. The stock 07 falls off a bit faster up top. If you do that be sure you go to a 185 or so on the main jet. I think that with the JE Hi comp will work really nice for you. If I did it again I'd stick with that but that is just me and my style. It may work great for some on the track.

The effect of the 144 kit on the 125 was WAY WAY WAY WAY more dramatic than this is. That was freaking bananas.

Have you altered your jetting to suit the big bore?? A 185 main is huge!!! I'm running a 165 main with a ported 07 R head, 08 R cam. This is for sea level to 1000,ft. The big bores run leaner than stock.

PM me if you wish to sell the kit. I have a mate thats chasing one:thumbsup:

I am running a 162 main. I noticed it offroad in terms of longer pull with smaller rear sprocket. It was definitly nice to have there. On the track I did not notice any super effect but the track I normally go to is a really fast track.

I'll try a tighter track wed but I am going back to stock gearing.

I am running a 162 main. I noticed it offroad in terms of longer pull with smaller rear sprocket. It was definitly nice to have there. On the track I did not notice any super effect but the track I normally go to is a really fast track.

I'll try a tighter track wed but I am going back to stock gearing.

Bud you need to run a pipe to get the best out of it. I have run 2 kits and 05 & 07 still compare all my bikes to them still today. They were the most fun to ride of all my bikes.I ran 1 tooth less on the rear with a white bros carbon pro and it ran like a raped ape. Fitzy's right with the jetting must be spot on

Yeah was wondering about the exhaust. I am going to get an MRD exhaust this week. Mid top end pipe. Jetting is good. Thanks for the tip! I'll report back.

Oh the oil analysis is in the mail with 10 hours on it. We'll see about the oil change interval BS. :p

It was not a jetting issue per say, it was a cam issue. I went back to the 07 cam and all is right with the world. It is of course not as strong but it starts reliably and fairly easily.

It would not start when hot and 20% when cold it would not start. I could bump it easily though but that is assuming there is a hill and with a rekluse you loose the ability to bump start.

So I went back to the 07 cam and is is quite fine but noticeably weaker ion the midrange/topend

It was not a jetting issue per say, it was a cam issue. I went back to the 07 cam and all is right with the world. It is of course not as strong but it starts reliably and fairly easily.

It would not start when hot and 20% when cold it would not start. I could bump it easily though but that is assuming there is a hill and with a rekluse you loose the ability to bump start.

So I went back to the 07 cam and is is quite fine but noticeably weaker ion the midrange/topend

good luck with your 4 banger...i gave up on mine and went back to where i came from...the old reliable 2 smoker that is a ton of fun to ride and i still have enough change left over after maintnance to buy a coke and a oatmeal cookie:busted: