Sign in to follow this  

KDX 220 - Wonky Gear Lever

Team,

I have recently acquired an OEM new gear lever for this bike - as a lot of play was evident in the previous lever that was on the bike.

I put this new lever on and still the same play is evident.

The shaft teeth stilll appear unworn and in good condition.

PLease help me resolve this wonkiness in my gear shifting.

Byte

the stock peice suks, its big, heavey and over built, mine was always loose feeling till i snapped it and replaced it with an IMS shifter, been tight ever since

Kawi175 - The shaft is solid and has no play when I try to wiggle it with my hand.

Sean - Do you have the part number for this IMS shifter?

What is it about the IMS lever that makes a better fit with reduced slop?

It's a pity - I think I just wasted $90 AUD with this brand new lever - and it seems the inherent design is basically no good - according to your posts.

Byte

I've cut off a thin layer from the gap before (on the side with no threads) so it could pinch down a little further on an aftermarket shifter.

Hi Jeff.

No worries. Yes, little screw fastened.

I just don't understand why/how a breand new gear lever on a true unworn shaft still shows slop...??

Byte

I've cut off a thin layer from the gap before (on the side with no threads) so it could pinch down a little further on an aftermarket shifter.

Photo?

Where did you cut and how mnay mm was cut off?

Byte

Photo?

Where did you cut and how mnay mm was cut off?

Byte

The lever I did it to would close the gap and hit itself before it pinched down on the splines so I widened the gap to it could pinch further.

Don't have a picture of mine, but I'll use the one below as reference. I just put the lever in a vice, and used a hacksaw to cut just about a hacksaw blades width off the bottom side (side closest to ground when the lever is on the bike) of the gap in the picture below where there are no threads.

2007_Sunline_Alloy_Shift_Lever_Alloy.jpg

Many thanks Linus.

I may try that on the new lever I just bought.

Certainly is a fair bit of meat there.

Byte

Any more thoughts on how I can eliminate this wonky/sloppy feel for this gear lever?

Byte

the stock peice suks, its big, heavey and over built, mine was always loose feeling till i snapped it and replaced it with an IMS shifter, been tight ever since

I notice the IMS lever is for 83-01 KDX 200s. Any idea if it'll work on the newer models?

I notice the IMS lever is for 83-01 KDX 200s. Any idea if it'll work on the newer models?

yes 95+ kdx's were indentical excpet graphics and seat covers, if it fit a 95-01, it will fit any kdx after 95, the dealer had one in stock, but most anyone has or can get ims shiftrers

this is the one i bought, labeled 83-07 200 and 220, which is correct

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI-KDX200-IMS-SHIFTER-SHIFT-LEVER-KDX-200-83-07_W0QQitemZ360137384007QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090309?IMSfp=TL0903091210009r16682

• Like 1

yes 95+ kdx's were indentical excpet graphics and seat covers, if it fit a 95-01, it will fit any kdx after 95, the dealer had one in stock, but most anyone has or can get ims shiftrers

this is the one i bought, labeled 83-07 200 and 220, which is correct

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI-KDX200-IMS-SHIFTER-SHIFT-LEVER-KDX-200-83-07_W0QQitemZ360137384007QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090309?IMSfp=TL0903091210009r16682

Good deal, thank you. I'm look into getting one.:)

As I have already just bought the stock lever brand new, and want to persist with this lever.

What will work better - reducing internal diameter of hole for lever by cutting a strip of metal or should I just use red locktitie as mentioned?

Byte

replace the shift shaft and bearing- likely the splines on the shaft itself are worn down and in all likelyhood, the shaft bearing as well as the spring inside the case cover on teh opposite side of the shaft has become weaker over the years - wiggling it by hand without the shifter on it won't tell you a thing because you have no lever arm connected so even a weak internal spring will feel strong - you might see some up/down play on the shaft at the seal - that's bearing related. If your new shifter is visibly wiggling on the shaft after tightening it's a sure sign of the shaft splines being worn - yes, you might be able to take up some slack by getting a piece of thin metal wedged between the two, but it'll probably only fix a small portion of the whole problem.

WOw - thanks Matt.

How do I replace the shift shaft and bearing?

I have the KDX manual but I don't think it explains enough to perform this exercise.

Byte