Stator loctite fix torque issue

I did the stator loctite fix tonight. The only problem is on the starter/ flywheel bolts, these were already pretty tight, but I took them out cleaned them off applied a drop of loctite. But I could not get them up to 70 ft lbs. When they got really tight it would start to spin, I used a rag to hold the magnet in place as best I could. I am a 6'2 gym rat, so they are tightened down pretty good with high strength loctite.

Tell me I am not paranoid.

I did the stator loctite fix tonight. The only problem is on the starter/ flywheel bolts, these were already pretty tight, but I took them out cleaned them off applied a drop of loctite. But I could not get them up to 70 ft lbs. When they got really tight it would start to spin, I used a rag to hold the magnet in place as best I could. I am a 6'2 gym rat, so they are tightened down pretty good with high strength loctite.

Tell me I am not paranoid.

Paranoid ye be. You've got 12 times too much torque on them. It's INCH-LBS, not foot-lbs.

I think there is a error in the shop manual as well it says 17 or 19 ft-lbs which is incorrect. I believe 70 in-lbs is the correct amount. I cannot imagine torquing those little bolts to 70ft-lbs:eek:

Go to your friendly nut and bolt store and buy some grade 12.9 bolts of the proper size and length.

The original bolts are grade 10.9.

Yes the book is wrong to say 19 ft lb.

Standard grade 8.8, 6mm bolts are OK to 70 in lb

Grade 10.9 are 90 to 100 in lb

Grade 12.9 are 100 to 120 in lb.

These are fairly conservaive numbers that will not get you into trouble. My advise is throw away the torque wrench and tighen securely by feel.

There is no way I was able to get them to 70 inch lbs, I put them all on hand tight. In the previous post I didn't mean the bolts would spin, I meant the magnet would start to spin. After they were all tightened down, the magnet still spins just as easily by hand. It is all buttoned back up now... thank god I was unable to tighten them down that much! I ended up not using the torque wrench and used a T-handle allen.

I guess that's why you read directions twice!

Twins - You seem to not understand the difference between "foot pounds" (ft lb) and "inch pounds" (in lb).

The bolts must be tightened at least 70 in lb although that is a little low for the grade 10.9 bolts in use. You need to hold the flywheel (magnets as you call it) in order to fully tighten the screws. There are several ways to do this: by hand, in gear, strap wrench, or a wrench on the flywheel hex intended for that purpose. Loctite is not a cure-all. The screws must be tightend securely to provide sufucient clamping force between the starter clutch and the flywheel. My advise is do the job again and do it right. See my previous post for screws and torque.

Twins - I'm only going by what you have posted. In Post #11 you say *

"There is no way I was able to get them to 70 inch lbs, I put them all on hand tight" (I understand in the 1st post you said ft lb and intended to say in lb but here you say you can't reach 70 in lb)

Holding the flywheel with one hand and using a T handle 5mm hex wrench in the other hand, you surely can achieve 70 in lb if not more. But you probably do have to hold the flywheel from turning. As long as you are satisfied, I'm satisfied. I just don't want other readers to get the wrong idea of how to do this process.

For the record... I am a moron.

I actually, initially tried to tighten them to 70 FOOT POUNDS. When I was unable I hand tightened them. Then after reading Nobles posts, I went back broke the screws loose, cleaned them off, grabbed my inch lbs torque wrench and properly torqued them.

Sorry about the confusion and thanks for all the feedback. I am sure it saved me from myself.