IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Excessive valve clatter after installing re-conditioned head

The usual clacking noise from my valves on my 04 X seemed to be gradually getting more pronounced for some time, but when I recently installed a re-condtioned spare head, the noise got MUCH worse. The head had been re-worked with new guides, seats cut, and new stock valves/springs/hardware. The only parts not replaced were the cam, buckets, rockerarm and it's pivot pin. Clearances were correctly shimmed to spec. I'm wondering if wear on the cam bearings or on the exhaust rocker/ pivot pin would account for this problem. The Honda service manual doesn't give a very exact method for evaluating the cam bearings--only that they spin smoothly and aren't loose on the cam.

Would appreciate input from engine builders and anyone experiencing similiar valve noise.

did the decompression device get put back on right?

without hearing it it's hard to diagnose. I know my topend was noisier with the valves set at book clearance than they are tighter than spec.

Didn't change the cam, so the decompressor wasn't removed. I think I've found the problem--must have gotten the cam bearing clamps swapped to the wrong head--apparently the clamps are machined to fit just so on that particular head. I swapped them and the valve "tick" is way reduced. That must be why Honda supplies the clamps with a replacement head.

piston could be turned around ,I just did that :p