Sign in to follow this  

Kick to electric start on '01?

First time posting - but Ive been all over Thumper for the last 2 months.

Ive been away from riding for the better part of 12 years and Im just getting back into it. Unfortunately Im pretty far removed from the technology thats been goig on in the last decade so Im a little behind the 8-ball.

Just bought an 01 YZ250F and did the 03-05 body conversion, tossed on a Dr D pump and new Excel rims to boot.

So now that Ive been back on the bike Im wondering if (1) its possible to put on the Easy-Button start and (2) if anyone has done it?

Before I got away from riding, I had a TTR with the Easy-button and I remember being sideways on some hill climbs where I couldnt put down my left foot to be able to kick and thinking "...Im glad this is here..."

Anything can be done but it would be money better spent to find a WR. The stator, mounting a battery, etc just doesn't pay off to try and modify a YZ.

SMC has it right. The WR takes different cases from the YZ, so you have to start from the ground up. Case fronts have mounts for the starter. The right side case is the same, but the left side is different. YZ stator mounts next to the cam chain and flywheel is open to inside, WR is opposite. The WR crank is longer on the left side to accomodate the starter slipper clutch. Then you have the electrics. E-button equals WR, not YZ.

You can go the route I did and put the WR tranny in there. Then you get the benefits of the lower gearing for first and taller gearing for 3-5th, and you've saved the weight of the starter and battery which is a plus.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like Im better off - at least for the time being - making sure I dont get stuck on the side of a hill!

Just gear down some. Got to a 52-53T rear sprocket or 12T front. That will bring 4th into play some and lessen the jump between 2nd and 3rd plus give more torque for hills. I'm running 13T front and 51T rear but will go to 53T rear at next sprocket replacement.