Sign in to follow this  

Possible Water In Head:[

Ight...not to be mean but my idiot dad hosed my bike down when I was at a race friends house...the thing is is that my friend is selling his 08 yz250f and I have an 06 so he said we could swap exhaust systems if I wanted so I took my whole exhaust off and went to his house with nothing in the header hole...I know I'm dumb but I was too busy thinking about getting a full new exhaust...But I come back with my bike dripping and nothing covering the header hole...I have no clue how much if any water went in the head...so...what should I do so no harm is done to my bike?...I've worked insanely hard in the last 6 months to get my bike to where I want it to be and random dumb stuff keeps happening...Please help a racer out:ride: ...Thank you

Ight...not to be mean but my idiot dad hosed my bike down when I was at a race friends house...the thing is is that my friend is selling his 08 yz250f and I have an 06 so he said we could swap exhaust systems if I wanted so I took my whole exhaust off and went to his house with nothing in the header hole...I know I'm dumb but I was too busy thinking about getting a full new exhaust...But I come back with my bike dripping and nothing covering the header hole...I have no clue how much if any water went in the head...so...what should I do so no harm is done to my bike?...I've worked insanely hard in the last 6 months to get my bike to where I want it to be and random dumb stuff keeps happening...Please help a racer out:ride: ...Thank you

SAME HERE!

Was your piston covering the exhaust ports?

change the oil, and ride...

if you had good seals/seats in your exhaust valves, there most likely isn't any water in your bike but changing the oil will get some out...

take a heatgun/ hairdryer to it

SAME HERE!

Was your piston covering the exhaust ports?

its a stroker.....but even so, i would not take the chance of somthing rusting on the head....i would take the whole top end apart and clean/dry off, then reassemble spreading some oil on the piston rings, and cyl, then reassemble, and completely warm it up, take it for a ride and you should be ok..:p

change the oil, and ride...

if you had good seals/seats in your exhaust valves, there most likely isn't any water in your bike but changing the oil will get some out...

take a heatgun/ hairdryer to it

the water wouldnt have touched the oil...and we dont know if exhaust valves were closed or not....

with the temp the the heads are, i would think that any water going inside would turn to steam instantly.

Ight...not to be mean but my idiot dad hosed my bike down when I was at a race friends house...

Hmm not trying to be mean but it sounds like he was trying to help you out washing your bike for you. As a rule of thumbut shut it off, cool it down, and pipe plug. Should have plugged the hole instead of blaming him...:p And i have a hard time believing that he did not notice the pipe missing i doubt much water got in there unless he had the pressure washer aimed in your exhaust port. lol

I would agree pretty much with the previous answers.... Unless you let it sit for a long time, doing nothing, I think you will be fine.

I'd load her up with WD40 through the exhaust port, kick it over a few time to blow everything out and repeat a few times. Blowing it out with air first, and maybe the hair drier trick wouldn't hurt either. Fire it up to burn off what ever may be left, and change your oil.

I honestly think that a good swamping on the trail would probably be worse.... (not fun, but definitely not catastrophic.....) If you didn't notice and things had time to rust, then you might be in trouble. As it is I wouldn't be too worried, just annoyed.

Cheers.

hah you don't know my dad...and I'm not blaming him...i was only gone for a few hours and i didnt expect him to spray it down so i didn't plug it... I'd rather not take apart the head since I haven't learned to work on 4strokes yet...so I shouldn't let it sit and air dry out?

Kick it over to see if any water is in the cylinder. If so, kick it until water stops coming out.

Start it up, get it up to full temperature, and ride it around for 20 minutes. That will evaporate any residual moisture.

The worst scenario is that the valve seats corrode, but that was really only an issue on early 400/426s with steel exhaust valves.

chokey...ur saying take the plug out...kick it over...if water comes out keep kicking untill no more comes out...then ride it for about 20 mins to burn the rest out? or are u saying to kick it and see if water comes out of the header hole?

chokey...ur saying take the plug out...kick it over...if water comes out keep kicking untill no more comes out...then ride it for about 20 mins to burn the rest out? or are u saying to kick it and see if water comes out of the header hole?
Yep, just kick it with the pipe still off. But hold the kill switch in, and hold the throttle wide open so the engine can draw in air to dry out the combustion chamber.

Don't take the plug out or disconnect the plug wire while kicking it, you can damage the ignition. Use the kill switch. That will give the ignition energy a ground to go to.

thanks chokey...I just went out and kicked it real good while having it at full throttle and holding the kill switch...You think I'll be good? I can't afford any more problems...I didn't see much water come out of the header hole...I kicked it about 25 times hard just to make sure...

thanks chokey...I just went out and kicked it real good while having it at full throttle and holding the kill switch...You think I'll be good? I can't afford any more problems...I didn't see much water come out of the header hole...I kicked it about 25 times hard just to make sure...
Now put the exhaust on and run it for 20 minutes. You need to get the moisture out ASAP before things start to corrode.