Sign in to follow this  

gas in tranny of 450x

I removed drain bolt from my 2005 crf 450x tranny and about a gallon of gas came out along with tranny fluid. Why?

i wouldn't have believed that the tranny compartment could even hold an extra gallon.. it must be some sort of miracle.

I'm trying to think how that could happen. There's really no connection between the fuel system and gear case that I know of unless gas somehow leaked past the rings or the crank vent was somehow cross connected to a carb vent. Very odd.

gas was in tranny and oil case, ok maybe not gallon but both were full! topped off! Both sides has the proper amount of oil in them to start. when i removed bolts both were diluted and thinned with gas. both full to top with gas!

I have used the FORCE but no answer came to me. I have no idea. I tried to start for about 4 or 5 times and it sounded weird. I then loosened drain bolts and flood of gas come out!

Best answer yet, thanks. It was open and stowed at angle for 1 month.

Keep in mind that even if your petcock is in the "OFF" position, that it can still allow fuel to pass, if it is leaking. My X has low hours and is an '07, but I can run out a tank even though it is "OFF". (Something I need to fix.)

It would have to be something like that redriders3. Have you replaced the oil and started the bike? If the float sticks open it drizzles some gas out of the carb vent onto the floor. A couple of taps on the float bowl with the butt of a screwdriver handle will usually unstick it. Better yet, take your carb off and inspect it carefully. Replace anything worn out and put it back on with a 7602 T6 vent system.:p:ride: This will keep lots of crap out of your carb and motor.

Sounds to me like somebody thought it would be funny to fill your oil reservoirs with fuel.:p

I drained both sides and replaced filter and it started back up. Runs great Cubera! Thanks. I will go through the carb this week. And get the T6 vent hose kit you mentioned. Gas did spill on floor the first time out of vent hose. first time that stuck.

Good deal. What I try to do is put the shut the gas off and run the bike for a little while to drain the bowl before storage. Not sure if this is correct or not but it seems to work fine.

you might want to not put a lot of time on that new set of oil, the residue could break the oil down quicker... i would take it for quick spin and throw new oil in it after, then you should have pretty much all of the remnants of gas gone.