Sign in to follow this  

DRZ Love!

I have had my drz now for 7 years and I still love her. Probably more now than ever. I bought a Husky te 610 a few years ago which I also have fallen in love with and so my Drz has been sitting. A few Months ago I decided to do a complete tear down and rebuild on my drz. I took the whole bike apart. Every nut bolt wire connection you name it. Cleaned, replace all worn / broken parts and installed a whole bunch of parts I have collected over the years.

I installed a new battery, Titanium axles and swing arm bolt, new plastics, rebuilt the carb, Ohlins rear shock off Jeff Freddits Kx 250 rebuilt and sprung to the drz and my weight, rebuilt the forks/ new valveing from ESP suspension.New piston, rings, valves,clutch, bearings... basically a new motor.

I still have a Scotts stabilizer to install and want to put on a trail tech headlight and an edge tail light along with a few more carbon goodies.

2009058.jpg

I went for my maiden rebuild voage today and did 25 miles after initial break in. Ran awesome, found some new single track and just killed it all day. What a bike !!!!

Hay man....long time no see. Good to see your DRZ is getting some time!!

What bar setup is that? I have Pro taper 7/8s on mine and I dont like the bend or height at all. BTW nice rebuild I plan on doing the same thing this winter only I am have the subframe, frame, and swing arm powder coated black.

Nice!

I also enjoy the DRZ lovin'. I came from two-smoke mx, and sportbikes on the pavement. My crazy friend and I hatched a scheme to have the only super moto bikes in town. He SMed out his xr650r, and I picked up a DRZSM. No matter where or when I ride it, I always end up giggling like a school girl. All the crap I've always wanted to do on my MX bike, but was afraid because I didn't have the plate or lights, plus all the crap I've wanted to do on my ninja 6r, but didn't have the suspension or tires. There are no more roads...only terrain. I never thought an old-tech DRZ would get this many smiles per gallon!

Hey Tyson,how's it going ? How's the DRZ compared to your Husky ? Did you go with a 436 kit ? Which valves did you get ?

Got about 18,000 miles on mine.Still riding it every weekend. :p

I would add the MCCT to your list of goodies
I have an ape mcct I use the auto to judge cam chain strech.:ride:
What bar setup is that? I have Pro taper 7/8s on mine and I dont like the bend or height at all. BTW nice rebuild I plan on doing the same thing this winter only I am have the subframe, frame, and swing arm powder coated black.

They are renthal fatbars I don't rember the bend.

Be carefull with the powder coat on the frame many drz's haven't lived long afterwords.

Hey Tyson,how's it going ? How's the DRZ compared to your Husky ? Did you go with a 436 kit ? Which valves did you get ?

Got about 18,000 miles on mine.Still riding it every weekend. :moon:

Since I have all the power a human could want with the 610 ,so I kept the drz stock bore. It really is hard to beat the power out put down low for the tricky stuff! I'm amazed at how similar the drz and husky are the 610 has a ton of torque everywhere and even geared down for the dirt it will still do over 80. That extra 6th gear would be awesome on a drz. I have the drz set up so it tops out at about 60.

The Ohlins rear shock is magic the bike tracks so much better through the whoops and hack. Although it does rais the rear end some.:p

Be carefull with the powder coat on the frame many drz's haven't lived long afterwords.

QUOTE]

Any idea why powdercoating the frame kills them? Maybe because the oil is stored in the frame and contaminants get in the oil from not blocking off the oil passages prior to to powder coating? I dunno. Maybe I will just have it painted with some paint that has urethane in it.

QUOTE]

Any idea why powdercoating the frame kills them? Maybe because the oil is stored in the frame and contaminants get in the oil from not blocking off the oil passages prior to to powder coating? I dunno. Maybe I will just have it painted with some paint that has urethane in it.

You pretty much have it right, when you bead blast the frame for prep it seems like it is almost impposible to get all the material out and this dislodges when oil is ran through the frame which in turn clogs the oil pump.:p

You pretty much have it right, when you bead blast the frame for prep it seems like it is almost impposible to get all the material out and this dislodges when oil is ran through the frame which in turn clogs the oil pump.:p

I just did some seaching on here and found a few threads where this has happened. However with painting it would still require bead blasting. Can I not just run some bolts with silocone on them in the hole for the oil tank and seal it off? I saw this mentioned on a few threads.

-Dave

Nice! I love my DRZ too....and I show mine how much by beating it like it owes me money!

One day I'll clean it up I imagine!

Nice bike!

If this is unrelated and I'm hijacking the thread, please pm me if you have the time to respond.

What do you think of the drz vs the te?

If this is unrelated and I'm hijacking the thread, please pm me if you have the time to respond.

What do you think of the drz vs the te?

hijack away:thumbsup: I mostly ride the Husky.......For the open desert where I spend a lot of time 6th gear and 176cc more juice, it just rocks. Power out put is similar to a drz linier and easy to use. Husky suspension stock is better than stock drz. Rake trail and length of the 610 is the same as a cr500.

Feel free to ask anything or PM:thumbsup:

I just did some seaching on here and found a few threads where this has happened. However with painting it would still require bead blasting. Can I not just run some bolts with silocone on them in the hole for the oil tank and seal it off? I saw this mentioned on a few threads.

-Dave

With painting you could get away with a good sanding. I'm sure if a person was extreemly carefull it could (powder coat)be done no problem.

Nice! I love my DRZ too....and I show mine how much by beating it like it owes me money!

One day I'll clean it up I imagine!

Nice bike!

I've considered both when I get money some day but it'll prolly be the drz or klx due to the hundreds of used bikes out there. Te's are harder to find and I would want a new one with FI if I got one

I've considered both when I get money some day but it'll prolly be the drz or klx due to the hundreds of used bikes out there. Te's are harder to find and I would want a new one with FI if I got one

Absolutly nothing wrong with drzs great bikes. There has never been any regrets. Shoot new drz is almost half what a husky is new. :p