Sign in to follow this  

knee ? for Dr. Mark

I was out riding today and had the front end slip mid corner and i felt a little pop in my knee, not really a huge or painfull pop. after that my knee was a bit tender if it took any kind of tweak. at the end of the day I came up short on a landing, when I landed my knee felt like it may have dislocated, I can't say for certain but it hurt pretty bad. now it has swollen quite a bit and isn't very stable feeling and I'm having trouble straightening it and supporting weight. just wondering if that sounds to you like I may have injured a ligament? if not what could cause the problem when I landed hard?

Thanks,

Bryce

It sounds like either a patella dislocation or an ACL tear. See the doc.

damn that's what I was hoping you wouldn't say, but I kinda expected that.

as far as timeline for getting the acl repaired if it's torn is there much that could be done to put off surgery? ie. knee brace till I get it fixed. I really am not thrilled about the idea of missing more riding season again this year, I missed 4 months of last year and will be massively bummed if I'm out for 3+ months getting it fixed.

oh well I guess back to the doc I go!:p

thanks,

Bryce

Naturally, ice is a major part of the early deal.

ACL surgery shouldn't be done until the knee has full motion and you walk normally.

A brace will be of little help for an unstable knee in high risk (MX) situations.

Best to get things fixed before other structures like the meniscus, and articular cartlage get buggered up.

If you come to Texas, you will never walk with crutches, miss one week of work, and be back in the saddle at 90 days.

That sucks Bryce, hopefully it's a minor thing and won't be out very long. I was looking forward to some RR rides. Keep us updated.

Brian

Naturally, ice is a major part of the early deal.

ACL surgery shouldn't be done until the knee has full motion and you walk normally.

A brace will be of little help for an unstable knee in high risk (MX) situations.

Best to get things fixed before other structures like the meniscus, and articular cartlage get buggered up.

If you come to Texas, you will never walk with crutches, miss one week of work, and be back in the saddle at 90 days.

I would love to come down and see you if it's torn but I will have one hell of a fight with my hmo to get to see you. also do you know any good knee docs at UCH Denver?

thanks,

Bryce

That sucks Bryce, hopefully it's a minor thing and won't be out very long. I was looking forward to some RR rides. Keep us updated.

Brian

will do I'm praying for some sort of minor damage but I don't think I'll hold my breath for it.

Bryce

i rode mx with a torn one from july till march. a brace does help in a lot of cases

You might as well start by going to a GP. All they are gooing to do it to order an MRI anyway. It would be senseless for you to come to see me this week. Just get the MRI.

I don't know any doctors in Denver, although I see at least ten patients from Denver every month.

Bryce, if you have to pay for it out of pocket to go see Doc it will be money in the bank. He talks a big game but backs it all up. I'm 3 weeks into rhab now, been back to work as a construction foreman/superintendant since the first day I got back. My knee hurts but it's amazingly strong and usable. The PT they've got me doing would be a workout for a perfectly healthy knee. If your acl is torn just go see him and he'll get you back on your bike fast as biologically possible.

You might as well start by going to a GP. All they are gooing to do it to order an MRI anyway. It would be senseless for you to come to see me this week. Just get the MRI.

I don't know any doctors in Denver, although I see at least ten patients from Denver every month.

just got back from the gp, they say it doesn't show any signs of acl tear during a physical exam, they did have some concerns about the mcl based on the exam. they did order a mri and ortho appt, mri is scheduled for the 16th.

so far it doesn't hurt terribly just really stiff from all the swelling.

Bryce

Bryce, if you have to pay for it out of pocket to go see Doc it will be money in the bank. He talks a big game but backs it all up. I'm 3 weeks into rhab now, been back to work as a construction foreman/superintendant since the first day I got back. My knee hurts but it's amazingly strong and usable. The PT they've got me doing would be a workout for a perfectly healthy knee. If your acl is torn just go see him and he'll get you back on your bike fast as biologically possible.

if I was footing the bill I wouldn't hesitate to go see Dr. Mark but I have really great coverage, it just comes with the issue I have to jump through quite a few hoops to get them to pay if I were to have him fix it. if the mri shows a tear and I don't get the answers I'm happy with I will fight to have it fixed by him though.

Bryce

If you can find a program that can get you back in the saddle by three months, go for it.

I pay Yvonne $50,000+ per year to jump through those hoops for you.

Trust me, I know. I had a ton of hoops to jump through as well. But between Yvonne and Norma at Sanders Clinic, they got it all worked out for me. Yvonne took no time at all to communicate with my insurance company and get to the bottom of exactly what my coverage for the whole deal would be. Norma worked out scheduling and gave me every option possible. She even got one hospital to pay for my travel expenses. They deal with out of town patients for a living. You're not a special case.

if I was footing the bill I wouldn't hesitate to go see Dr. Mark but I have really great coverage, it just comes with the issue I have to jump through quite a few hoops to get them to pay if I were to have him fix it. if the mri shows a tear and I don't get the answers I'm happy with I will fight to have it fixed by him though.

Bryce

If you can find a program that can get you back in the saddle by three months, go for it.

I pay Yvonne $50,000+ per year to jump through those hoops for you.

if it comes down to needing surgery I will definatly give you guys a shout.

Bryce

I'm in a similar situation. I just had an MRI followup today and it showed an acl tear. I'm going to have surgery in about 3 weeks after I regain my ROM and can walk. So the usual time before you can ride after reconstructive surgery is about 90 days? Dr. Mark, if you don't mind could you kind of walk me through the post surgery healing. I know there's going to be extensive PT, just wondering how long it would take before I could walk, cycle(bicycle), etc. Thanks

Its all on our website.

Read the whole thing. There is a lot to it. The prehab, surgery, rehab, FAQs and everything.

http://sandersclinic.net/aclrehab.html

then go to U tube

Run a search on the Sanders Clinic Channel.

Then call me with your questions

doc

You should go to DR.Mark! I am in my 2cd week prehab and am doing fine. It was really worth the trip to Houston. You will probably see me on one of his youtube vidieos before long.I walked into his office the next day after surgery and started my PT with Robert and ED and them guys know what to do.I hav'nt been on crutches at all or any braces.I am wlking pretty good and not too much pain.I have to ice the knee after working out and the ice does better than the pain pills.I have almost full range of motion already and can tell I am getting better every day.

So you've had the surgery? You were able to walk the day after the surgery? How was the pain after the surgery?