Sign in to follow this  

XR250 Fork Tool

I did the fork seals on my XR250 this weekend. I had to make a tool to get down into the fork tube to hold the hexagonal opening in the top of the fork damper so I could loosen the center bolt on the bottom of the fork. I figured I would post what I came up with so people could make it if they wanted. Some others have listed tools they used but most require more fabrication. The parts below can be bought from any hardware store and easily assembled.

You could do it one of two ways:

(1) A piece of 1/2" NPT black pipe a couple feet long threaded on end, add a 1/2" x 3/4" bell reducer and then install a 3/4" x 1/2" NPT hex bushing. The outside wrench flats of the hex bushing fit the hexagonal hole perfectly. With this method you will have to grind a little bit of the OD of the bell reducer to allow it to fit into the fork tube. I did it this way because I had a piece of 1/2" pipe.

(2) A piece of 3/4" NPT black pipe a couple feet long threaded on one end, add a 3/4" coupling and then install the same hex bushing listed above. No grinding, use as assembled.

Tighten the pieces as tight as you can get them because when you loosen the center bolt it will be trying to loosen the assembly you just put together. You should be able to easily tighten this assembly tighter than what is required to loosen the center bolt.

You could add two holes through the top of the pipe for another rod placed perpendicular to this assembly for tightening and loosening - I simply used a pipe wrench.

Very good. A simple piece of sharpened dowel (wood) does the same job. Stick it in..give it a tap with a hammer. Undo bottom bolt..

If you just turn them upside down, lean on the fork to compress them and use a rattle gun to undo bolt. Compressing the forks will usually lock them so you can undo the bolt with the rattle gun. Worked well on my XR400 a couple of times.