Sign in to follow this  

need help... my kxf250 is rough in the woods

I have an 08' kxf250 and love the bike and the power over my 07, but like the 07 I havent gotten the suspension dialed in for the woods/cross country. Everything is basically stock on the forks and shock, but after messing with the clickers i still cant seem to get it very plush in the woods. I'm about 170 lbs, and ride around an intermediate rider but have slowed up in the last few years after a few bad accidents. I've been having some issues getting my bike to feel plush in the woods, and it doesnt seem to soak up the breaking and acceleration bumps. Any small bumps, roots, rocks seem to throw me every which way to where i feel out of control. I have my front forks only 2 clicks out from softest and my rear probably 8. Rebound is around 16 from hard if I remember correctly. I rode my buddies 09 kxf450 and it felt more plush and stable in the small chop so im convinced its not the spring rate although some articles tell me I need the next softest spring rate from stock for moto/enduro riding. I've thought about messing with oil weight and levels but thought i'd ask around first to see if anyone has came up with a solution to a similar problem ive been having? I'd appreciate any feedback!

as a home fix you could fit the next lighter spring and the lowest oil level you can, but really the mid is too stiff for your riding.

ya, thats kind of what i figured. Can i start with a lighter oil and lower oil level? how would that affect the first few inches?

You can lower the oil volume to like 340-350 cc and try 2.5wt or "0"w in the damper, but honestly it wont make a lot of difference. Read up on the valving DIY in the crf450r forum and we can help you with the shim stacks.

The 09 shouldn't be any improvement haha, but either way it may be.

You still have 07? Swap suspension.

no, the 07 was just as bad plus had valving for works racing. I want to use this more for trail riding... its almost as stiff as my 07 the first few inches.