Sign in to follow this  

Advice on street legalizing a 2003 Drz400E in California?

Does any one know the ropes on converting my 2003 DRZe to a street legal bike in California? DMV says one thing and People are telling me different.. ie: there is a way to salvage out the frame and get a whole new SMOG exempt VIN#...(according to a guy named street legal Joe).. Would like to know the facts before I pay this dude $600. bucks to do the paper work and what-not?

My bike now supposeably has a compititon vin# if that helps any??? :p:ride:

in your state you have to get a frame witha good titel and VIN#

so that guy finds a DRZ "S" or "SM" bike that got a salvage titel becouse it got wrecket

than we takes all the parts from your E to the new frame

Acording to him there is no frame swap... just gets a new vin issued... not sure what he does but the frame stays the same... its somethng with the paperwork he does.. not sure all the details.. he wouldnt tell me

Exactly, thats why Im hoping someone knows the facts or the easyist way to do this without a frame swap.. or, if I need to scrap the idea and just get a pre-2003 or an S or SM model.. Im thinking of a 98 wrf 400 I know about, I just love the DRZ and the electric start...

you do know that your "E" is the same as a "S" with goody paerts like a better

carb

cams

and one thinner cylender bace gasket

I'd say your friend is doing the same thing that Coddington did...

Hot Rods in Hot Water: Boyd Coddington cops plea in title-fraud investigation

BOB GRITZINGER Posted Date: 4/14/05

California hot rod builder Boyd Coddington is the first big name to cop a plea in a wide-ranging title-fraud investigation California prosecutors and Coddington’s own attorney say could involve 70,000 illegally registered vehicles.

Coddington pleaded no contest April 7 in Sacramento County Superior Court to a misdemeanor charge related to submitting counterfeit vehicle titles to the state Department of Motor Vehicles. The star of American Hot Rod on the Discovery Channel paid $3,000 restitution to the DMV and must perform 160 hours of community service in the next year. His community service includes explaining to hot rod enthusiasts how to correctly register their cars.

Authorities say custom car owners use phony, out-of-state titles identifying cars as much older or less expensive than they actually are. The fake titles allow owners to pay lower registration fees and less sales tax, and to escape air pollution regulations.

The Specialty Equipment Market Association, an advocate for hobbyists and hot rod owners, disputes whether the practice is widespread. SEMA is working with California officials to find an equitable solution that allows owners time to properly retitle their cars.

thats interesting.

yea this person is no a friend, actualy some one who advertises dual sport and exotic bike conversions

If you are not changing frames, the only way is to put a different VIN on your frame and that is not legal in any state. Only the state can issue a new VIN if for some reason the VIN is lost due to theft or salvage reconstruction.

You will be better off finding a frame with a legal title and plate that you can swap your parts on to yourself. That way you start with a legal frame, VIN, title and plate before you do any of the conversion work.

Also stay away from salvage titles as getting them back on the road is problematic. Can't change a frame vin legally. Can't title that year "E" as street legal. A lot of guys are getting burned on these deals, especially at renewal time when DMV declines to renew for the street. Best bet is get a dead (but not salvage) DRZ and swap parts. I even had to dual register, adding a green sticker to my street tags, to ride up in Los Padres National. DMV is getting smarter on checking VINs and denying street tags on off road bikes.

not only that but I know the salvage thing can greatly reduce the value of your bike.. not the way i want to go.. Anyone have a pre 03 drz frame for cheap? lol

there has been come DRZ "S" that ware parted out becouse the motor was trashed

some in CA

just look in the older threads I'm sore you can find them

I've heard about this guy before. From what I've heard is that he changes the title on your bike from a Suzuki to a special construction vehicle. Which basically means that you've modded your bike so much that it can no longer be recognized as a suzuki. Its BS but its the round a bout way of getting street legal in CA. When i was looking to this i found his site which i remember him saying it was only $500 so you might want to look in to that too. You can do this process yourself too but it takes a few trips to the DMV and you need a police officer to sign off a sheet. A lot have people have had success with him but it is a lot of money so be sure to do the research. Good luck

Hey thanks blue. I heard you can only do a one-off custom build once in your life? does that mean he uses my name to do this or does he have other means? :p

This may be how he's doing it... processes to salvage status and revives as DRZ400S. Read some of the 'Exceptions' and item number 6... Motorcycles exempt from smog inspection.

Good luck with it... there may be a loophole with motorcycles.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr13.htm

EXCEPTION: When a California official brake and light station that inspects specific vehicles, such as motorcycles or large commercial vehicles, is not located within a reasonable distance, the California DMV will accept a Statement of Facts from a California repair shop attesting that the brakes and lights are in proper working order.
Statement of Facts (REG 256)

Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view, fill out and print forms. To incorporate the latest accessibility features download of the latest version of Acrobat Reader may be required. If you have problems with Acrobat Reader or our PDF form, select PDF Troubleshooting.

This form is used in a variety of situations, such as, but not limited to:

Use Tax Exemption Statement

Smog Exemption Statement

Transfer Only or Title Only Statement

Window Decal for Wheelchair Lift or Wheelchair Carrier

Vehicle Body Change Statement (Ownership Certificate Required)

Name Statement (Ownership Certificate Required)

Statement of Facts

A DMV technician will advise you when a Statement of Facts form needs to be completed. Depending on the type of transaction, other documentation may be required to complete the transaction.

Unless you are doing something that is questionable, an "E" can't be licensed. It all has to do with the VIN number. Registering it as totaled, then trying to re-register as an S still won't solve the problem. The VIN is what tells DMV whether it is street legal.

If you can convince the DMV that you have built a special construction, that's another matter. It's not altering a title, it's getting a new one. I'm not sure it's worth it to pursue that avenue.

I would look for an "S" frame with a title, and convert. I've seen them sell on eBay for less than the $500 you'd be paying this guy.

It doesn't have anything to do with Smog, not sure what C6 is referring to.

My neighbor got a killer deal on a CRF 450X that the previous owner spent ~$500 trying to get a plate for.

Good luck.

Unless you are doing something that is questionable, an "E" can't be licensed. It all has to do with the VIN number. Registering it as totaled, then trying to re-register as an S still won't solve the problem. The VIN is what tells DMV whether it is street legal.

If you can convince the DMV that you have built a special construction, that's another matter. It's not altering a title, it's getting a new one. I'm not sure it's worth it to pursue that avenue.

I would look for an "S" frame with a title, and convert. I've seen them sell on eBay for less than the $500 you'd be paying this guy.

It doesn't have anything to do with Smog, not sure what C6 is referring to.

My neighbor got a killer deal on a CRF 450X that the previous owner spent ~$500 trying to get a plate for.

Good luck.

Why does the state require an original frame with street legal VIN... starting with a certain year bike?? Its not due to poor lighting.. I had a friend that converted a 1974 Honda CR 250 into a street bike several decades ago..

I just bought a brand new vehicle out-of-state and let me say it was a hassle to register in Calif... Its 50 state smog legal and I had to get a smog cert and VIN verification indicating it has all the labels to operate in the state of California.

These laws were devised to keep gross polluters off the street...

Very interesting information guys, Keep it coming if anyone has any more insight they would like to add, Im still not sure what to do, I will reasearch finding an "S" frame to start, but still considering just getting a pre 2003, like possably my friends 98 wrf 400, jsut dont like that it is a kick start and those wrf's are known to be a bear to start.... he only wants $1200 and the bike has alot of nice mods... grrr I love the drz'z any one wanna trade a "E" for an "S".... LOL:thinking: