Sign in to follow this  

1989 PW50 leaking fuel

My little brother has a 1989 PW50 we have been working on for a while. It has a new piston/head and a few days ago after i got done cleaning the carb out, it ran great (finally) but it was leaking fuel out of the carb badly. I think i might have broke the tip off the needle valve and that's what is causing the fuel to leak. My question is: If i did break the tip off the needle valve, would that cause it to leak fuel out of the carb or could it be something else?

I know this is more of a YZ forum but i need help...

Sounds to me like you have a leak in the float bowl gasket. Pull the bowl, slap a touch of RTV on there, reinstall and see if it leaks. After the requisite drying time of course.

Also check to make sure the hose from the petcock to the carb. isn't split.

Your float height is probably set wrong. I have been tinkering with mine cause it would puke gas out of the overflow hose and i'm pretty sure my float height is incorrect.

Alright thanks...I'm 90% sure i broke off the tip of the needle valve though...Could that make it leak fuel?

I Think with the needle tip broke like that it would let to much gas in and cause the gas coming out of the vent line. I would try getting a new needle and set the float height when you get the new needle.

Alright i'll be buying a new needle valve sometime this week.

I ordered a new needle valve today! I took the carb off the PW50 and looked at the needle valve and its definitly broke...I don't know why this thing is so fun to ride!?! It was my first dirt bike...I guess no shifting makes it pretty fun and when it hits the power-band it's great!