Sign in to follow this  

KX250F New Piston making backfiring?

I just had my KX250F piston replaced and now it backfires constantly. I called the guy who replaced it and he said it's normal. He said it will stop once the engine/piston is broken in. Does anyone know if this is should be happening?

BS. When does it backfire? I'd bet during deceleration. If so you probably have a loose header pipe or something that is causing an air leak.

Yup, total BS.

He just doesn´t want to have another look at it.

Check header and copper crush washer first.

either exhaust leak or lean jettting, the only other possiblilty is that you got your hands on a vintage Orville Redenbacher piston :p

sorry couldn't resist

I just had my KX250F piston replaced and now it backfires constantly. I called the guy who replaced it and he said it's normal. He said it will stop once the engine/piston is broken in. Does anyone know if this is should be happening?

have u noticed if it has ever done it before the top end rebuild?

My vote would also be a leak at the exhaust header or somewhere along the pipe. Check where the exhaust header goes into the cylinder, and also check or replace the copper crush gasket.

If it is backfiring during acceleration, I would definitely have a look at the timing.